The Official Irish Times Best Places to Holiday in Ireland Thread

You have a girlfriend ?

No, he has a life partner…

I’m looking for somewhere, how shall I put it, less expensive.

Glasson golf hotel

1 Like

The Sheraton is a really nice hotel right in the middle of Athlone, There’s nice eating options in AthloneThere’s including an outstanding Thai restaurant and plenty of decent pubs. It’s about 45 minutes to Longford town.
I don’t think I’ve ever been to Longford.

1 Like

Your life partner would love the view across the lake @Bandage

Athlone is a hellhole, pal.

3 Likes

I looked that up last week and they’d no availability for this Saturday. We stayed in Wineport before too and the view and ambience is indeed excellent.

1 Like

Shannon is a lovely town.

3 Likes

It’s about as good as it gets in the Midlands though mate. In all honesty it’s not a bad spot at all. I had one of the best weekends of my life there when Cork city played them in the cup semi final in 98 and recently we had a lovely family trip there for 4 nights.

1 Like

Mornington house. A charming little spot and your life partner will love the candle lit dinner in the dining room.

Warwick the owner is a lovely, lovely man for a west brit

2 Likes

Shannon Co. Clare??

Full of character and history

I’m just sitting and taking in a few rays outside the Methodist Church in Youghal. The town doesn’t look much on the eye but plenty to see just off the main streets…the old medieval church and view from the old city walls are great. Stunning day here.

2 Likes

Lolz.

If @Bandage finds himself in Glasson I’d advise him to avoid Grogan’s pub in the village. It’s filled to the brim with rugby memorabilia with barely a GAA picture to be seen, and there’s also a framed World War I-era British Army recruiting poster in the corridor outside the toilets.

In terms of something to do, I’d suggest a visit to Clonmacnoise monastery south of Athlone.

1 Like

Make sure to visit the clock tower on the main street, you cannot miss it, as a young lad I was fascinated by the gruesome stories of fellas being hung drawn and quartered there, I believe its seen some renovation work in recent years.
If you fancy a nice although not cheap lunch Ahernes does great seafood, its at the far (Waterford) end of town on the main street.
Is it my imagination or does Youghal have some claim to fame by having the longest main street in Europe or something?

1 Like

Mornington has Saturday night availability. Unbelievable scenes. Is it the type of place you’d arrive after lunch, relax for the afternoon / evening with a combination of garden walks, tea drinking on comfy couches and general chilling out before dining on the premises too and taking a bottle of wine back to the room? Essentially, is it a place to decamp to and stay there in tranquility or more to use as a base to explore other places? What approach did you and your life partner take?

1 Like

Guests can walk to the lake or wander round the grounds. Excellent golf, fishing, walking and riding can be arranged.

Sounds perfect. Walking and riding.

10 Likes