The Official Irish Times Best Places to Holiday in Ireland Thread

If that doesn’t sell Kinnity then nothing will.

5 Likes

Smoke half a benson with Johnny Pilkington.

2 Likes

I spent a lovely evening discussing the 1988 National Hurling League Final with Ger Couglan and a brudder of Johnny Flaherty, I’d go back again so I would.

2 Likes

Ger runs a B&B next to the Kinnity Castle I believe. A very alright sort too.

1 Like

Who is he running the B & B for?

When he answers the door people usually ask if his mammy or daddy are home

Is there any equivalent to the likes of Dingle or Westport in the NE of Ireland (including the north), small town but with good pubs and restaurants? Also any recommendations for places to go in the North only been to Belfast before really

My experience is limited, I’ve been to Belfast a few times and travelled a lot through North Antrim,
I thought Newcastle, Co.Down was a cracking spot but it was summer

Carlingford?

Is it any good? Only thing I’ve heard about it is stags

Ya Newcastle is an option alright. I’m going the end of the month so might be nothing going on but I don’t mind really. Just a place with a few nice restaurants and couple of decent pubs is all I’m looking for

Decent enough. Wouldn’t be at the same level as Single or Westport but plenty of decent food places and pubs. Nice setting too. Depending on timing obviously it’ll be overrun with Stags or Hens but not as likely at this time of year I’d say

Stay clear unless you’re going on the rip although the four seasons hotel might be an option there

Was there this morning around 11am and there was a northern hen party who seemed to be locked

I’d say Newcastle would suit you so, it’s a grand spot and there’s some daycent countryside nearby to walk off the excesses

There’s adverts for a few daycent looking places in the Sunday Indo today (free hotel copy). Think one was the Bushmillls Inn which looked good.

Kinnitty was a great shout. Very nice spot and well looked after.

2 Likes

There’s nothing in Newcastle. One half decent chain restaurant and an overpriced hotel. If you fancy a walk Slieve Donard is fantastic. The beach is rotten.
Ballycastle, Portrush, Derry for a night each would be hard to beat. Moville, Ballyliffin and Culdaff would be worth considering.

1 Like

Yeah, grand spot. The dungeon bar is good craic when they have music. Food is excellent.

1 Like

Bar was good craic alright, two lads playing music. Dinner was nice, starter was excellent, main was reasonably good.

Just back from a few days in Belfast and did all the touristy things on the northern coast. Based myself there on the recommendation of a mate from Derry as he said lot of coastal towns would be dead. Had lunch in Portrush one day and I think we found the only pub/restaurant open. It was a proper ghost town. Ballycastle was nice but quiet too. Everywhere is within an hour drive of Belfast. Very good value Air BnBs in the centre of town and great restaurants/pubs.

Carlingford is good but pretty small. Everything located within a square 100m. Will prob be stag/hen heavy.