The Official Limerick v Waterford SHC Build-up Thread

The boys have it over on clarehurlers alright, wasn’t there but watch the break may have been…Good to see Davy looking after his own…

Whhat is the feeling in Waterford HangBlaa…can’t see limerick beating ye myself

Would be a massive step back if we cannot account for Limerick this year. Too many people are focusing on what happened in the final last year, when that aside we were the second best team in the country, and that hasnt really changed, there are a few key players who will be improved this year with the proper full season of conditioning and a few young lads like Noel Connors, Jamie Nagle, Kevin Moran and Richie Foley who I expect to add a lot the the table. Then you have Gary Hurney whose hurling has improved imeasurably and may cause issue for one or two full backs this year as well. Confident of at least an all-ireland semifinal appearance and the cats aside we are more than a match for anybody at present.

Heard that Richie Foley is flying alright at the moment, will all the big names get their places…

From last years 20 odd core players, Declan Pendergast, Tony Browne, Dan Shanahan, Seamus Pendergast will al be under pressure.

Hang on now HB, ye went into the semi final on a wing and a prayer having got enough of it from wexford. take out the first 20 mins, when tipp’s 5 week lay-off and the dream start for yourselves put a mountain in front of tipp that they almost climbed in the next 50 mins, and the claim to being the 2nd best team in the ocuntry doesn’t hold water.

we’ll know soon enough, cos nothing less than a munster championship would be sufficient for the most professional coach and team in the province.

If Limerick hurling has anything at all going for it they should put it up to Waterford in a big way this year. Bad and all as they were last year they should have beaten Clare and been back in the munster final and would have if they had been a small bit sharper. I still can’t get a clear picture of what Davy Fitz’s Waterford will look like. Last year doesn’t tell you that much. The truth is Davy putting his stamp on that team will mean erasing most of what Justin McCarthy did. Chalk and Cheese. I don’t know that Waterford can play the style Davy wants and get results. If they can carry over the ball-playing mentality they had under Justin and mix it with a more high-intensity, direct approach, then fair play to them. I don’t see how though. The Waterford of Justin McCarthy and all their swash-buckling flair are dead. This is a new Waterford and I don’t think any of us can really know what they’re about just yet.

[quote=“treaty_exile”]Hang on now HB, ye went into the semi final on a wing and a prayer having got enough of it from wexford. take out the first 20 mins, when tipp’s 5 week lay-off and the dream start for yourselves put a mountain in front of tipp that they almost climbed in the next 50 mins, and the claim to being the 2nd best team in the ocuntry doesn’t hold water.

we’ll know soon enough, cos nothing less than a munster championship would be sufficient for the most professional coach and team in the province.[/QUOTE]`

Nothing less than an All Ireland will do, quiet frankly. How we get there doesnt really matter.

Limerick and Clare had a recent challenge match played behind closed doors in the gaelic grounds. Clare won by three points. The Limerick team looked close to what the championship team would be without the injured Hickey, O’Grady and Breen. Shaughs had another shocker by all accounts. Not looking good at all.

All roads lead the Thurles on Sunday. Still confident of a win, hopefully a comfortable one. Few injuries in the camp. Mullan and Shane Walsh are very very doubtful, slight doubt also over Richie Foley and Gary Hurney. Apart from that all is relatively rosey in the camp. Training is going very well by all accounts, and it will be a difficult task to pick 15 with a lot of lads pushing hard.

Presume injury worries over Seamus Hickey and Brian Geary will have faded in Limerick and they will be full strenght.

[quote=“HangBlaa”]All roads lead the Thurles on Sunday. Still confident of a win, hopefully a comfortable one. Few injuries in the camp. Mullan and Shane Walsh are very very doubtful, slight doubt also over Richie Foley and Gary Hurney. Apart from that all is relatively rosey in the camp. Training is going very well by all accounts, and it will be a difficult task to pick 15 with a lot of lads pushing hard.

Presume injury worries over Seamus Hickey and Brian Geary will have faded in Limerick and they will be full strenght.[/QUOTE]

Good to see davy is keeping things low key down there and not getting em too hyped up :smiley:

Quietest build up to a championship match on Suirside in about 12 years Runt.

Boxing champ Dunne in Waterford’s corner

10 June 2009

World boxing champion Bernard Dunne will be cheering on Waterford when they face Limerick in Sunday’s Munster SHC semi-final.

The Neilstown native visited the Waterford training camp last weekend and gave a motivational speech at the invitation of Deise manager Davy Fitzgerald, who is a personal friend of his. Dunne subsequently headed off to Croke Park to cheer on his beloved Dublin in their less-than-convincing Leinster SFC quarter-final victory over Meath.

Back in March, Fitzgerald took the Waterford squad to the O2 Arena in Dublin to see Dunne relieve Ricardo Cordoba of his WBA superbantamweight title. The fight went on into the early hours of the morning, and Fitzgerald memorably used this as an excuse when Waterford lost to Dublin in the NHL the following day.

[quote=“The Runt”]Boxing champ Dunne in Waterford’s corner
[/QUOTE]

And what does that have to do with the price of turnips.

Just seems a bit much prior to a semi-final.

Don’t remember too many complaining when Roy Keane was giving a Motivational speech to the Cork hurlers…I suppose because it is “wild” Davy it is a stupid idea :smiley:

Mortification tends to quieten most folk. Not Big Dan though, did a fine spread in the Examiner yesterday.
You cant keep a good media whore down it seems.

JM would be a huge loss, waterford under davy are hugely reliant on the full forward line of mullane, kelly and mcgrath.
mullane, as the most prolific from open play, would be very hard to replace.
Gary Hurney playing might actually benefit Limerick as it would keep Prendergast or Ken away from one of the central forward positions. There were signs that justin could make a hurler out of him, but i wouldn’t have the same faith in davy to make a silk purse out of a footballer.

I’d fancy Limerick to win this even though their record over the past decade or so in Thurles is very poor. Rumours about Ollie starting at full forward are gathering pace too. That’ll be interesting to watch how he gets on there.

Delighted to hear Davy is into this gimmickry. This sort of bolloxology gives us a real chance. Give me the quiet calculation of Justin any day.

[quote=“HBV*”]Mortification tends to quieten most folk. Not Big Dan though, did a fine spread in the Examiner yesterday.
You cant keep a good media whore down it seems.[/QUOTE]

In fairness the bit from Dan was just a few quotes from the launch of the munster championship that the GAA had in Lismore Castle, what the fook was he supposed to do refuse to speak. Stephen Lucey has an article of the same length in todays examiner.

Are ye rattled HBV?