The official Roman Catholic thread

The whole world? Thereā€™s more muslims than Christiansā€¦ Thereā€™s probably more Hindus and buddhists also?

Enjoy your faith if it gives you something back,
But itā€™s very unlikely that anybody here wants to read your books, Christianity in this country is on life support and it wonā€™t pull through, for right or wrong weā€™re sick shit of organised religion,
Even if there is a man in the sky if you lead a good life youā€™ll be sorted, a large percentage of the cunts on their knees every Sunday morning are just that,
Nobody gives a shite,

Iā€™m a Saturday evening cunt myself

4 Likes

That was one of the first signs of the church giving up in Ireland,
Nothing but lip service if you canā€™t be arsed to make it on Sunday, a joke

The Archbishop is on with Clare Byrne
Not very impressive to be honest, Diarmaid Martin was/is a lovely man and always came across really well in interviews, this guy not so likeable

The legacy of the Catholic church in Ireland is sickening. The abuse aside, they set us back decades and continue to do so. I appreciate that many people take something positive from their faith and thatā€™s a good thing, but imagine how much better off the country would have been if we had never had the Catholic church here as an institution. There are lots of minor charities doing good work that are funded by the church at a local level, but those aside, I donā€™t think I can point to a single positive impact or legacy the Catholic church has had on Ireland.

1 Like

Home Rule is Rome Rule.

Irelandā€™s lack of development is more a function of our role in the Union, the breakaway from the Union and geographic factors than the Church. There were other countries in Europe with similar Church influence that advanced quicker than Ireland.

Are you advocating for NI to break from the Union?

Up until the Protocol Iā€™d have said it would have been in their long term interests. Not clear now with their current advantageous position.

Either way, sadly the discussion doesnā€™t get to that level as the main advocates for it are toxic.

I caught a snippet on the Radio yesterday that suggested they are doing very well from the protocol ā€¦ Surely the DUP will sign their own death warrant if they push for the protocol to be fully abolished

Incorrect- Christianity first- but it really doesent matter
I believe in my faith and consider my self lucky to fully believe in my God
All about how one lives, treats others and has a fair cop on attitude
I donā€™t wave my belief in anyones puss but by fuck Iā€™ll always back it up

1 Like

They have best of both worlds being in and outside the EU/UK. Any business focussed/progressive person would look to embrace it and maximize their advantage.

Yeah weā€™d have been illiterate, uneducated, have no schools, hospitals, fir a start
What was done by some deviants canā€™t be blamed on all
Evil men do not make an evil church
Maybe hedge schools would have done us?

FFS without the church most here over 45 wouldnā€™t be able to count

7 Likes

I wasnā€™t referring to economic development but fair enough.

1 Like

What would have actually happened would have been weā€™d have an education system with no church and it would have been a lot better.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s possible

Like the British one?

1 Like

Maybe if we had no church we could have had the British health system.

The priests done a lot of good for the gaa too.

1 Like