The Official TFK 2023 Fun Running Thread

@TreatyStones listen to @Mac

That’s a first :joy:

4 Likes

I’d be a mile off that at the moment. I’m not going to kill myself when I know my fitness is off. If I can get a good block of work in for the next 4 weeks I’ll try and give Adare a proper rattle (if i can pick up an entry near the time).

1 Like

I’d be in agreement with @Mac too, nothing worse than having gone out too hard and struggling home with everyone passing you out.

2 Likes

How’s the body holding up? Any races planned?

Niggly. Did a parkrun this morning and found it hard. Just going to try and get out a bit more over next few weeks.

3 Likes

I did very little in November and December but fitness seems to be still there thankfully. Doing Raheny in a couple of weeks and will decide what’s next after that. Might do Bohermeen half in March.

1 Like

Steamers :grinning::grinning:

What’s the difference between a park run and a fun run?

Your first race in how long? And you’re gonna take it easy

There’s a difference between taking it easy and running at a pace you think you can maintain for 10k. Don’t see the point in running the first 5k in 20 minutes and then crawling home because you’ve nothing left.

I was saying to coach that I’m tempted to run that Ferrycarrig 5 mile on 22 January. But I get the calf niggles when I try to race in quick succession & I definitely want to do Raheny on 29 January. I’m in the middle of 10 days off & I’ll only be getting back running around 10/11 January so maybe I should build things up for a couple of weeks before having a crack off Raheny.

My long course adjusted time for Raheny last year was 32:55 and after I’d set out aiming for 33:20 (6:40 per mile). My 5 mile time last month in an internal club race, albeit in a semi hurricane on a tougher route, was 34:15. I’d say aiming for 6:40 per mile again is probably a fair target but I would take advice from the running clique on this (if offered).

1 Like

It’s a ‘running’ :grinning: joke, @fenwaypark knows,
@TreatyStones is fast, he’d be looking to go around 42 minutes, you’ve a better chance of doing that if you do the first half in 20:45 than if you do it in in 22:30,

I don’t race much, when I do I try to go as fast as I can, wouldn’t be bothered holding anything back

2 Likes

Are you doing Adare?

I don’t really like the course, last year I had Covid when I ran it, bad memories
Probably not, I’m doing a half in Berlin during Easter, would like to do a 10k before that alright but I’m so fatigued from my recent illness that anything fast is daunting

2 Likes

Signed up for Wicklow half marathon at end of March.
Always good to have something to aim towards

6 Likes

Did 10 and a half k this morning ahead of the run in Caherconlish next week, no great pace but kept going from start to finish. Signed up for the half marathon in Limerick at the end of April. I’m following the plan on the Nike running club app and it’s good only for the coach/voice over telling me I’m crushing it every 2 minutes. Every time I make a cup of tea now I’m expecting the mrs to tell me I crushed that too😀

11 Likes

Wickla Way half on March 18th.
Might be a nice one to dip your trail toes in @tallback

2 Likes

Had anyone ran Kinvara half? Of so what is the course like? Thinking of giving it a go in 6-7 weeks in n preparation for Limk Half. It’s only a week after Adare 10k but fuck it. If I t up p around as a fast tempo even it’d be a good training .

You’d also get a rake of likes if you posted a few Nogra photos