The Official TFK 2023 Fun Running Thread

I’m at a big do the day before so I’ll barely be in a walking state.

Pulled hamstring this morning !!

1 Like

Ouch!

Yeah - it’s driving me nuts at this stage. I’ve had pulls in both of them over the last couple of months - really impacts on getting out there

1 Like

Lets do this

1 Like

Yourself and the lad were fairly lifting going over the bypass on Friday. Looked like suffering

1 Like

A privilege to watch @Wexford1996 in Dublin Masters Cross Country action just now in St Anne’s Park. Great for spectators on a 3/4 lap course with a kinda intersection piece too is you get to see people passing a good few times. He had a real “not this cunt again” look on his face on the last lap when faced with my “great running, keep it going!” yet again. It looks like an incredibly tough slog. All I can say is “great running” pal. :clap::running_man::handshake:

8 Likes

I hope you chanted ‘The T, The T, The TFK’ as we went by each time?

Thanks for the support. Much appreciated even if it didn’t appear so. It’s a real slog and conditions weren’t actually that bad. I was steady enough but way off lads I’d be close to on the road.

3 Likes

XC is not for the faint hearted. I learned that the hard way :hot_face:

3 Likes

I think I’ll shelve very tentative plans to run the Ferrycarrig 5 Mile on Sunday week. @Mac, @Wexford1996, anyone else, did you ever run the Enniscorthy 10km? It seems to be an annual event and it’s coming up on 12 February. I could do that instead to tie in with a weekend or day trip jaunt down to Wexford.

2 Likes

I ran it a few years back on the old course that started at the Shamrocks pitch and went out the Oulart road a bit. Since the bypass was opened they’ve changed the route to 2 laps of the Old Old Dublin Road / Old New Dublin Road and I think they cap entries to 200 or something. Its not the most attractive route but I think its fast enough. It heads out on the old old road in the direction of Dublin and then you come back towards town on the old new road which has a nice long drag the whole way up it.

Mrs Mac is doing a 10km in Rathcoffey in Kildare around that same time I think which is supposed to be a nice enough course and relatively flat. Obviously that wouldn’t get you close to home and plates of your neighbours baked goods though.

There appears to be some Inner City 10km on February 11th from Henrietta St flats listed on RunIreland.com. Not clear how you register for it though.

1 Like

Thanks. I couldn’t get my head around the route at all as I couldn’t figure out the old old and old new roads. Where is the start/finish? Is it somewhere near the graveyard? Entries capped at 200 would seem a bit strange, could that be what it was during Covid maybe? I saw on Slaney Olympics Facebook page that they have a range of prizes for top 3 male and female overall and across a load of different age categories so I thought that might indicate it was a bigger field?

I’m familiar with Inner City Running Club as @Rintintin ’s coach usually does their events and features them on his insta etc but I don’t actually know where exactly in the inner city they’re based.

There’s a link road between what we used call the old Dublin road and the new Dublin road. If you head from the graveyard towards Ferns, once your through the roundabout on the main road it’s about 1km up the road on the right.

You’re usually coming from Ferns direction to finish on the link road. The start is up a bit further on the old road I think. Its a bit bigger than a 5km loop I think so you do 1.8 laps of it I’d say.

2 Likes

I see they say there’s a new start finish and give an eircode just past the Kilcannon Garden Centre on the old road. Still the same circuit but just changing the start and finish. Might mean more of a downhill finish or something cos they’re promoting the fast time element of it

1 Like

So it doesn’t go through the town itself really?

Nope not at all. I guess that makes it easier to organise cos they’re not closing main thoroughfares through the town. It also means it’s flat as there’s nothing in the town only hills

1 Like

A 10km inthe town itself would be some fun just continuously up and down hills

There’s a 10 mile race in late March in Gorey @Bandage - The Great Gorey Run. Starts and finishes in Naomh Eanna but runs up the main street at one point. I’ll probably be doing that one myself. There’s a family 5k fun run as well is Mrs Bandage wants to partake with the young Bandages

1 Like

The only run i ever remember going through town was the old Strawberry Half Marathon. Started near the Riverside, all along the river till Ned Kavanaghs on Island road, sharp turn back up Irish Street, through the square, down Castle Hill and out the Main Road towards New Ross before turning off at Red Pats Cross for Tomnalossett. A tour of Bree parish then and back in the old Wexford road from Edermine.

It’d be torture doing a race through the town. Imagine going from Bellefield to the Shannon or vice versa

1 Like

@Rintintin getting it done again :clap::clap::clap:

3 Likes