The Official TFK Farming Thread

Jail for that fella.

1 Like

13 Likes

Few pints tonight now lad after that

A savage thirst

1 Like

I love doin the hay/silage.You get a great feeling of satisfaction after it’s done and you can go down the local for a few pints knowing it’s finished.

3 Likes

It must be like cutting the lawn times 50

3 Likes

Nothing like seeing the haggard full.

2 Likes

:rofl:

Incredible scenes in the sperrins. A box, a few old frames of honeycomb and a drop of lemongrass oil…set up in the hope of attracting a swarm. I’ve several set up, this is the first result…they’re flat to the mat at 8 in the morning

11 Likes

held together with masking tape :smiley:

…and bailer twine

I think when the father sells the bullocks in the winter, that’ll be that :cry:.

Baling twine…… :rage:

Uh Uh, looks like Duck/Duct tape. :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Wtf was I thinking…baler twine!

1 Like

Sad but time moves on.

Would you or any sibling have any interest in running it part time at any stage? If not just lease if for 5 years to a trusty neighbour and yur Dad can avail of the tax break.

2 Likes

I’m keeping an eye on you going forward. @iron_mike is overly lenient with you.

2 Likes

There’s just me and the sister. I’m the guts of 300km away and she wouldn’t have a fucking clue. If I was being really honest, I would have felt an obligation to take it on this year if I was living at home, and deep down I’m glad of the excuse that I can’t take it on because of location. I hope that doesn’t sound bad. The father had a procedure done on the ticker this year, and while he can still golf three times a week and is a fit guy, he shouldn’t be doing too much physical stuff. He’s 77 in November. There’s fuckall work to do there tbh though. He gets in 7/8 bullocks a year, sells them off in November, buys again in March. White heads. Pure pets. The most we ever had was 9/10 sucklers + calves.

They’re giving serious consideration to selling up land and house, buying something smaller closer to village.
They brought this up two years ago with me and my sister, and I told them I was happy with whatever they decided to do. The sister got all upset and worked up so they did nothing til she came round two years later :man_shrugging:

I said to the mother at weekend if they’re selling the land to give first option to my cousin as he’s farming and my grandfather gave my father the land to move back from Kilkenny. They went down to auctioneers today about a potential new bungalow coming on market next year. I’m happy for them to make the move before they’re too old to do it. A house is only bricks and mortar. Even if the auld lad laid every single one of those bricks. He said the other day his back was bollixed for a few years in early 80s. Building the house sorted it out and it never gave bother again

23 Likes

I gave that a like but have no idea why.

1 Like

Fair play to them. Isn’t many have the cop on to make that decision

4 Likes

It’s because he’s a caring son on/in the horns of a dilemma, he’s of farming stock and engaged in a deep spiritual battle between the old soulful ways of ireland and the clean sterile simplicity of modern life. You were able to identify with it more than most, having abandoned Catholic Ireland, the country of your birth, the land of the curlew and the snipe, the Aran sweater and the Irish Sweepstakes…for a land of heathens, easy pleasure and loose wimmin.
Why indeed?

3 Likes