The Official TFK Father's Issues Thread. I don't know how they do it

Just don’t try the segway. I reckon you’ll break your neck off it. Xbox not PS4?

Do you want me to find a Black Friday Deal on the Xbox? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Hear hear. You don’t want a technophobe nerd of a child either. Get it ta fuck. It’s what she wants.

decided to flesh out my earlier post

There are certainly indirect consequences that should be considered.

Time spent playing on an iPad is even less time spent reading books, or talking with other children or with adults.

Using a tablet is incredibly insular - they are essentially used as games consoles by children.

This is all about middle class snobbery - parents are willing to allow their children to play with iPads, but would scorn parents who let their children sit in front of an Xbox all day.

As to another trope so popular with the aspirational classes of Portmarnock,using an iPad has little educational value in terms of technology and computing.

Apple has streamlined its operating system to such an extent that an idiot can use it. The user has few or little choices to make and virtually no chances to truly manipulate the system or learn about the code that makes it work.

12 Likes

apologies for using the word Trope guys

1 Like

Get her a 43” LG smart TV

3 Likes

iPads (from my experience) are way more damaging than PlayStation or Xbox. Kids will sit on an iPad all day if left but will get bored of PlayStation

We banned iPads and phones for my kids - ww3 for a few days and then was grand. instead of iPad they read, draw, listen to music and kick a ball. With iPad it was all those YouTube video walk through of games

Want to get older lad a music player to stream music and will have to be an iPod Touch but will be only for music. Will have to cave to a phone at some stage I know

1 Like

You can still go on YouTube on the IPod Touch I think…

At least with the PlayStation they are actually playing the game themselves rather than just watching someone else play a game which is utterly bizarre behaviour really

3 Likes

One of my lads would play fifa 18 rather than watch a match live on TV. Except when Liverpool are playing).

The big thing with the youth now is to watch gamers play levels of games on YouTube.
It’s mad carry on.

1 Like

My eldest would rather watch someone on Youtube playing a match of FIFA 18 than actually play one himself as far as I can ascertain.

4 Likes

On Twitch you can donate money to the Streamers :thinking:

This little fucker has it made

I know an adult who does this. :eek:

Not an adult

1 Like

South Park have done a good episode on this.

There was a guy on newstalk now saying that kids are learning about football through FIFA rather than watching or going to games, they are more likely to know players for the super clubs (Real,Barca,PSG etc) than players in their own countries. They are also more likely to follow players than clubs and would switch teams if a player moved

:grinning:

I was out a few weekends ago with my life partner and a group of her friends and their partners. One of the chaps present wasn’t drinking alcohol as he wanted to be fresh and sober enough to watch some live streamed gaming competition taking place in the US when he got home at 1am or whatever.