The Official TFK Ireland 1912-1923 Thread

They were brave boys. What they did so you don’t have to get up and sing God Save The Queen every morning before you go to school almost defies belief.

I am a long time gone from school now and there would be little chance of me singing that shite in any event.

However, shooting an elderly woman, her servant who appeared to have nothing to do with anything, and young boys, were the acts of cowards. Did you watch the programme this evening? I would commend the man who defied orders to kill two 17 year old boys and dropped them back into cork city. He had more balls than the boys who fell into line in a firing squad and shot an elderly woman.

Wouldn’t be that crazy about diehard nationalists myself but the agenda to totally discredit the Republican movement in this country is pretty sickening. The Indo is very active in this respect, as you would expect from a reactionary, pro-establishment rag.

anybody who Myers ever quoted was a fortified kunt. Signing up. I hope cerebus the hound of hell is chewing on his left testicle

It’s much to do about nothing, but that John Ford documentary tg4 put out about the Quiet Man, in it they relay an account of him coming to Ireland after the tans burned out his cousins near Spidal. At the time he was supposed to be on a scouting mission for a new movie location and had $4000 to do so… Well, he only went and gave it to the I.R.A to fight the good fight… The tans heard rumblings of this and kicked the bollox off him and put him on a ship home.

A lovely little story that, and Sean-een never forgot his roots.

The indo has a long long run of form for that type of shit.

Correct. It’s fucking sickening shit and people would do well to remember that William Martin Murphy was the proprietor of that newspaper and it hasn’t changed a jot in the intervening century. Still you’ll get gormless oafs like glasandban who’ll believe every word that’s put in front of them, because it’s the telly sure isn’t it.

Pot, kettle, black buddy. Come back to me when you develop the level of insight to see shades of grey in an argument.

I watched that O Malley doc a while back. We haven’t produced men of such character and conviction since… Maybe some of the hunger strikers, but I’m often astounded at how our sense of pride, honour, conviction and moral courage have eroded from society and culture in such a short period, especially when we have such a sustained history of such traits and characters. Whether you agree with certain actions or their politics, a few men from that period showed more moral fiber than the nation as a whole now could in a life time.

Fuck the self loathing Irish like Totti, Glas and Chewy…

[quote=“ChocolateMice, post: 752153, member: 168”] you agree with certain actions or their politics, a few men from that period showed more moral fiber than the nation as a whole now could in a life time.

Fuck the self loathing Irish like Totti, Glas and Chewy…[/quote]
Now you see, this is a very stupid post. I am a very proud to be Irish man. Having the level of intellect to discern that certain things some of these cowards did, as in my example above, does not diminish this in any way.

Above you hail the moral fibre of the IRA men but cast doubt on the validity of some of their actions in the same sentence. That’s a contradiction. If they were so stuffed full of moral fibre their actions would have been beyond reproach.

The war of independence is and should be a source of pride. That doesn’t mean that you can’t also notice that some cowardly cunts committed some cowardly and evil acts using the name of that war as an excuse.

Of course certain thick ignorant wannabe rebels like Fagan and CM may have their heads too far up their own arses to see this. It is a shame because both come across as articulate and intelligent posters most of the time.

[quote=“glasagusban, post: 752157, member: 1533”]Now you see, this is a very stupid post. I am a very proud to be Irish man. Having the level of intellect to discern that certain things some of these cowards did, as in my example above, does not diminish this in any way.

Above you hail the moral fibre of the IRA men but cast doubt on the validity of some of their actions in the same sentence. That’s a contradiction. If they were so stuffed full of moral fibre their actions would have been beyond reproach.

The war of independence is and should be a source of pride. That doesn’t mean that you can’t also notice that some cowardly cunts committed some cowardly and evil acts using the name of that war as an excuse.

Of course certain thick ignorant wannabe rebels like Fagan and CM may have their heads too far up their own arses to see this. It is a shame because both come across as articulate and intelligent posters most of the time.[/quote]

Right, can you name a few of these so called cowardly acts and we will start from there.

See above.

[quote=“glasagusban, post: 752157, member: 1533”]Now you see, this is a very stupid post. I am a very proud to be Irish man. Having the level of intellect to discern that certain things some of these cowards did, as in my example above, does not diminish this in any way.

Of course certain thick ignorant wannabe rebels like Fagan and CM may have their heads too far up their own arses to see this. It is a shame because both come across as articulate and intelligent posters most of the time.[/quote]
Fuck off for yourself. War is a dirty business. You have absolutely no evidence to suggest that the protagonists were cowardly. How do know they were cowardly? How do you know that the collaborators were not informers? How do you know that. If they were informers and they were in a war situation then that was that. There were no grey areas.

What he’s saying is hardly ridiculous either though. And when it comes to William Martin Murphy it’s worth remembering that the glorious revolutionaries were more on his side than the people he was starving when it came to the crunch.

Any link to the ernie o malley documentary? Hard to be too judgemental, hindsight is great and the country was in chaos. Controversial but I agree about the ww1 commemoration. Those men decided to fight for the British and fair play to them for their bravery but they didn’t do that for Ireland and any commemoration should be separate from the republican events. I have no time for the drug dealing scum that passes themselves off as the majority of urban republicans nowadays but the men that died for Ireland back then deserve to be celebrated. As for this south Dublin based west brit intelligentsia, they shouldn’t be allowed carry irish passports. Every figure in history is open to scrutiny and debate, but the continuous and biased degradation of republicans names is a disgrace.

I doubt if the Citizens Army were great fans of Murphy in fairness.

There was no great glory in the foundations of the Irish press or how it was susequently run and edited either.

He’s a right cunt this glas fella. Show me a revolutionary or resistance movement that did not have to take drastic, hardline actions? And he has the cheek to call them cowardly, the bastard… Are you living inside some kind of Disney movie, glas?? FFS, this is the reality of war and to suggest these men did it lightly is an insult to all our past heroes. If an old woman found herself on the list, there was a reason behind it and at the time if she had to be done, to achieve the objective, then she had to go. The fact you can sit there and type your insults in hindsight is down to such drastic actions.

A deeply stupid post. Here’s an example: the boys who lined up in a firing squad and shot an elderly woman were cowards. Not one of them had the balls and moral fortitude to refuse to it for fear of being shot themselves.

Now, you can curse me and throw a hissy fit all you like for saying that, but it’s true, and it’s not revisionism. You and your like do own the moral ground to judge who is or is not a republican and I can recognise when something is wrong yet support the war of independence just the same. You can carry on with your head in the sand.