The Official TFK Ireland 1912-1923 Thread

Barry would have seen plenty close combat in Fallujah.

1 Like

Would or Did?

Did

1 Like

Where the fuck did you find this? Has to be the 60s right?

A generation brought up with ideals and the courage of conviction to carry them out…

There’s a West Limerick man interviewed throughout cc @Julio_Geordio @TreatyStones

What’s his name ?

The spy in the Castle…

Neligan.

Watching the second half of this now… Some great stories from the individuals involved.

He had a purely practical attitude towards war, as opposed to someone like Breen whose book is far more romantic. He didn’t see any glory in what he regarded as shambolic military rebellions throughout the previous centuries.

Alongside Collins and MacEoin, he was one of the only men who you could say had frightened the shit out the British. Twelve and half thousand men he had pinned down in Cork with maybe 300 volunteers. He was some commander, like when he had the piper play at Crossbarry because he knew the Brits would think they had ran into a full regiment when they heard it, or when he stood out in the middle of the road as the Auxies drove up to him at Kilmichael. Didn’t he come face to face with Percival at some point as well? I remember something like that in the book.

2 Likes

He talks a bit in that doc I posted above… He was 80 in it.

1 Like

@ChocolateMice what’s this flag?

is that a pagan cross?

The sunburst? Goes back to fionn and the fianna… A republican flag. Where you?

The sunburst (Gal Gréine) is associated with early IRB, is it a commemoration of the 1867 activity in Kilmallock?

3 Likes

I’m watching a doc about our Basque brothers ETA here.

Correct. At the fenian monument.

Kilmallock must have been a great spot for a row back in the day, the Blueshirts regularly caused major bovver there as well

A bit edgy up here alright

That’s a Kilmallock cross