The Official TFK Ireland 1912-1923 Thread

But yes is the answer.

This lad was on the radio with Tudridy this morning.

http://clareherald.com/2019/02/the-time-of-the-tans-new-book-to-be-launched-in-ennis-19201/

Be interesting to cross reference the oral history against an archive that i’m working on — which was a lot of hand written testimony from the Clare boys

1 Like

Good one. Cc @Horsebox

cc @Fagan_ODowd

Here’s a nice signature for you from a doc in the archive —

1 Like

Havent read any of these Brigade Activity Reports yet but should be interesting:

http://www.militaryarchives.ie/collections/online-collections/military-service-pensions-collection-1916-1923/brigade-activities

1 Like

Dont waste your time. The search function and indexes are brutal

Click on the map pins and then the info box of said pin.

That is only a means of browsing. It is not for searching. I have been through equivalent databases of pdf docs in online collections in Ireland and britain which are far better organused and easier to use. Erasmys Smyth records, Hampshire county records,… just two examples

1 Like

Very fancy.

Bloodline take you to Hampshire did it?

Concur, bloody need 6 months to wade through it

I had a go last night. Disappointing alright.

:see_no_evil:

The local landlord! Not a blood relation.

Found reference to my grand uncle there in a couple of reports relating to activity in Carlow.

Thats what you think.

2 Likes

Ah … I presume you are on about out by the border lands? I’m trying to remember who was big out that way … The Masseys of Castleconnell held land out there… Was there an Alexander also? What lord did yee take soup from?

Same as that with regards to some some older relations and operations in Laois. Also a few names there whose families I wouldn’t have believed to be that way inclined.

You couldnt believe half the stuff people claimed to be involved in … active duty amounted to robbing a bicycle or sticking their middle finger up at the Tans while their back was turned …

What do you mean by that way inclined tho?

2 Likes

Ah I wouldn’t have seen the families I know as being activists for want of a better word. Obviously apart from yourself, I doubt many on here would take up arms should the need arise. I guess I very much doubt this lot would, but it seems their ancestors were a different matter. I guess if needs must, we can’t say what we may or may not do.

Personally speaking I’d kill for you bro.