The official TFK list of 🐐 experts - Hurleyers on the ditch

There’s a lot of people would know nothing about me except that I was a very good free taker, I practiced a lot and I very rarely missed anything in my range, with no wind a 45 close to the centre was as much as I had in my locker, my favourite kick was close to the left sideline where I’d start the ball about 15 yards to the right and drop it over,
I scored an equalizing point with the last kick once from the 14 right on the sideline in a county final,

I can never understand somebody taking a routine free from the hands, bringing so many unnecessary variables into play

5 Likes

As an off the ground kicker I agree very much with your last comment.

3 Likes

There was a seismic change in the late 60’s when we moved away from the old yellow ball with the brown bootlace knotted on the outside. Loads of lads met with grief attempting to punch a score or relieve the pressure of the eternally dangerous “high lobbing ball” because of the accursed lace. On a wet day these footballs absorbed the wet and you might as well be kicking a bag of potatoes.
The move to the modern white, coated ball reduced weight and removed the lace and added years to many’s the man’s career.

2 Likes

A curved close in free off the ground from near the sideline is a thing of beauty

Id imagine lads are discourage from taking frees from the ground to prevent injuries, especially groin.

1 Like

Off the ground artists aren’t often the workers required on modern day Gaelic football teams either.

1 Like

Used to play with a lad who was a great free taker but would never take the first free of game unless it was practically a tap over … reckoned it was a confidence thing for taking frees for rest of match …

He is of dubious character

4 Likes

A fucking loser is what he was

You’d have to have a lot of confidence in your ability to take frees in big matches, if it was something I’d be worried about missing then it would be a hard free, no pressure.
I didn’t like straight in front of the posts 30-40 yards out, always felt an angle on either side was a help.

I absolutely loved kicking frees, I had the work done in empty fields with a bag of balls so it had to be worth it.

2 Likes

30 yards out just to the right of the post was the one that got me the most. Too much curl and it goes off to the left. Too straight and it goes wide right. Getting the balance between minimal curl and leaving enough room to get inside the right post. Further out gives it more tolerance. I remember one game I kicked one from the sideline on the left on the 14, the sideline out near the 45 from the right, and missed one that was nearly dead centre 30 yards out. The curse of free taking.

1 Like

Funnily enough , he’d have a lot more medals than you, played at a lot higher level than you …but sure this is your domain- TFK the land of make believe …

7 Likes

Clontarf used to have a dainty little free taker, Frankie Byrne, who was deadly from 30 yards in. Teacher in Belgrove I think.

Frankie Byrne is a great aul name

Yes we used to hum the Dear Frankie theme tune off the radio to try and put him off but it rarely worked.

1 Like

The ones from angles you ‘coax’ over, the ones straight in front you drill over.

1 Like

Spoken like a true free taker.

I used to love seeing a free taker address a free with one foot and then kick it off the other side

Think Dessie Dolan said he ruined his back taking frees off the ground

1 Like

He couldn’t kick snow off a rope for fuck sake.

7 Likes