The official TFK solar panel thread

My neighbour has a very large bank of them on his roof. He reckons they are fantastic, but the oil truck still calls 2-3 times per year.

That’s a fairly good set-up. My best mate was building recently, but he went with a ground source heat pump instead of A2W. He’s had non-stop issues with it. The installer had issues with the boreholes, and struggled to get the set up of the heat pump right. I visited the house a week ago and it was like an ice-box. He reckons the whole thing will have to come out.

like anything, depends on the installer and the person involved. I’ve a groundsource heat pump, but with a horizontal collector/pipe network. In over ten years now and works perfectly fine.

Mine were never touched since they were put in

My house has 3 panels in since 2009. Never serviced, never even thought about it. Were already installed when I bought the house. Plenty of hot water from just these March to September. What’s typical lifetime, will they need to be replaced at some point, or just serviced and refilled?

1 Like

What’s the make of Heat Pump? The A2W units are pure scrap.

That’s great going. I think the tubes expire eventually but that could be 20 years. With more A2W going in there’ll be less and less solar for new builds. Still a market for retrofitting old houses though.

The installer was a bit of a cowboy, I reckon. He must have installed the heat pump in reverse because it’s pulling heat out of the house and boiling the groundwater.

1 Like

Its a Nibe. So has the hot water and heating. I was looking at solar panels for summer time to switch the pump off completely, but it uses so little it would have taken about 35 years to pay back the same as buying the solar panels, so just wasnt worth it. A2W wasnt really going much 10 years ago, but is the default system now. I wouldnt know much about the quality of them, but it probably wouldnt suit me too well if I ever do have to change as apparently they dont go well in coastal areas. Any sky dish I had went to shite within about 2 years.

Jaysus. Usually the pumps come with warranties coupled with the installer.

@Little_Lord_Fauntleroy

4 Likes

I thought they were gonna be hit by an airstrike for a while

Every satellite dish should be fibre rather than metallic, a bit more expensive but no comparison on the useful life.

1 Like

Talk to me lads.

Has anyone fitted Roof panels or even ground based units?

I’m already using an Air to Water heat pump.

I’ve had thermal solar, waste of time.

PV is a different ball game, worth a look but still looking at minimum 12 year pay back from my back of envelope calcs. . Not enough sun in the winter when you need it but at least you’ll get paid for your surplus during the summer.

You could also go the battery route which allows you to store excess and use it when electricity is more expensive.

a lot of people died last year installing solar panels according to JP

Wait a few years

Jordan Peterson says solar energy is more dangerous than Nuclear energy

Be careful

I know a fella who fitted solar panels to his house and got a heart attack 9 months later

1 Like

Footballers are dropping. It’s the solar

Nuclear energy is the way forward, but the flat earthers/nimbys won’t have it, as Joe Rogan correctly said, the Nuclear power plants of today are nothing like the tin pot operations built 50 years ago