The Olympics

Ireland’s Tanya Watson qualifies for the diving semi finals having finished in 16th place out of 30. 12 will progress to the final from the 18 who qualify.

There was some lovely biased commentary from Jon Kenny on the diving. What the Olympics are all about.

2 Likes

TBF he’s watched some amount of diving with little or no local interest. I’d say he wet himself at the prospect of using some of that lingo about an Irish wan.

Is he interested/involved in diving?
He seems fairly in tune with what’s going on.

Do they have gears on the pursuit bikes

It’s almost hypnotic to watch and then a lad falls

Michelle Smith was contacted by liveline because David Gillick (I think) left her out of his list of Gold Medalists, she made a statement because she said she was in court that day.

She is not trying to bring attention to herself

Wow. Just wow.

No. Fixed gear.

1 Like

A brilliant win for the Italians in the team pursuit there. Filippo Ganna drove the train.

I was wondering what the fuck this Seashell Myth was I saw referenced a few times … ffs :laughing:

As balbec said, one gear, no freewheel and no brakes.

1 Like

Ah here, the statement was more about her own “success” than that of the untainted athletes.

That was what she was replying to, she wasn’t asked to comment on the rowers, she was asked for her response to being left out of the list of Gold medal winners.

I have no time for her whatsoever but be fair, and aware of why she made that statement and it’s context

Perhaps you are right, but
athletes competing honestly, with the sacrifice, dedication, training, travel, injuries, etc etc being robbed of medals at the peak of their careers by athletes who cheated is beyond wrong, and for every cheated medal, there’s a clean athlete who has one taken away. Its a particular bugbear of mine. Maybe I should just pretend it doesn’t happen, but I can’t. The tour de france, the Olympics, the world championships, I look at the athletes, and it’s always in my mind.
I honestly believe that all Irish track and field athletes and swimmers are competing clean at this Olympics, and competing against people who aren’t.
Maybe I’m wrong, but I doubt it tbh.

3 Likes

Clear for Cian O’Connor, tickles the last

Picked up a time penalty

You’d miss Robert Hall and his brother commentating on the showjumping

Brian McSharry was the doyen of showjumping commentators

Looks a very tough course. That fraction of a second over for Cian O’Connor could be costly.

That’s all well and good, fair comment.

I’m just pointing out that Michelle Smith didn’t go seeking publicity for her medals last week, she was asked for comment on a very specific topic, which was why she was left out of the list of Gold medal winners, She could have refused but when she made a statement she was hardly going to back down after 23 years

Ray MacSharry was the doyen of providers of phone tapping equipment.

Wexford’s Bertram Allen up next after the Belgian

Sorry, after the next Belgian, five away

Cian O’Connor won’t make the jumpoff now