The Olympics

Itā€™s not really. Itā€™s about 15% harder swimming on the front, so significantly easier if you can get in a bunch. The only reason you would hit the front is either
A you think you are quick enough to open a sufficient gap
Or
B youā€™re a bit thick

A is very hard to to.

3 Likes

Informative rating

Big as in thereā€™s no 100m or 110m indoors (flat or hurdles) - itā€™s all 60m which is a different event and often too short for top outdoor athletes. I donā€™t think Usain Bolt ever ran a 60m - Ben Johnson (:face_with_monocle:) was very strong over 60m

60m is about how fast you can get to top speed. 100m is about how long you can go at your top speed

Then on track an indoor track is much tighter (200m long) so a 400M race is only in lane for first 200m and then break from lanes so position is key - itā€™s completely different really as you can be cut across etc and a much tighter bend

Have a look here to see - 400M indoor hurdles which I donā€™t think is run too often

3 Likes

USA OUT of the 4x100m!

Nelly Korda lighting it up in the womenā€™s golf, -10 on her round with 4 to play. Both Irish girls playing well at -4 and -3.

1 Like

Kellie Harrington in a close one here, sheā€™s very skillful, great feet but not aggressive enough

And Kellie gets the deserved nod, hope sheā€™s a little more aggressive in the final

1 Like

She won the first and last rounds but canā€™t see how any judge could give her the 2nd round. She barely threw a punch, never mind land one in that 2nd round

On 18 now, a birdie here for a 59. Incredible golf by the #1.11 under in 13 holes.

This British lad Yafai is a wrecking ball of a fighter, walks his man down ignoring all incoming fire. Most exciting amateur Iā€™ve seen in a while

1 Like

Double bogey on the last after having to wait an age on the tee. 62.

And Yafai gets the decision, a great fight. He has a great style.

Grant Holloway has dominated the 110 metres hurdles for the past two years. Couldnā€™t get it right in the race that matters though and has to settle for silver. Parchment takes gold for Jamaica.

1 Like

Jaysus, heā€™s 30 (thirty).

Any time Iā€™ve seen Harrington fight, itā€™s the one thing that strikes me about her - she throws very few punches in her fights.

David Kenny is a nephew of a friend of mineā€™s Mrs.

Me man says heā€™s never met anybody (has worked with an inter county player or two in his day job) anywhere near as fit as Kenny.

1 Like

Natalya Coyle is third after the first day of Modern Pentathlon which was fencing. I can see a number of Pentathlon experts appearing out of the woodwork in due course

but rarely gets hit!

The first thing I learned in boxing is to not get hit. Thatā€™s the art of boxing. Execute your opponent without getting hit. In sports school, we were putting our hands behind our backs and having to defend ourselves with our shoulders, by rolling, by moving round the ring, moving out feet.

Wladimir Klitschko

1 Like

Is Arthur Lanigan Oā€™Keeffe competing in the menā€™s modern pentathlon?