The Olympics

What’s the 5k pace now? From what I’m looking at, I’d destroy these lads over 5.

1 Like

10k was a very slow race as well.

I think they were 1’ 35 for 20k. French guy Diniz is after stopping 3 or 4 times and still only about 20 seconds behind.

1 Like

Stopping for drinks? Someone was saying these were the fittest men on the planet. They’re waddling away like the oul biddies coming outta bingo. I’d say there’s some absolute oddballs in this lineup.

Con letting everyone know he was up at 3am.

He had a toilet stop after 10k when he was out in front. Got goin again and then appeared to take the wrong course. He’d just about caught back up and he picked up a bottle at the water station and then went back for something else. Back with the leaders again now but they’re only approaching half way.

1 Like

Sounds like an absolute cod of a race. Diniz is probably submitting his moving time instead of his elapsed time on Strava.

1 Like

It’s hard to know what he’s at. He just stopped again for about 20 seconds at the water station and lost touch again. He’s got a warning now. From what I gather you’re allowed 3 of them before you get a 5 minute penalty.

1 Like

Why are they getting rid of the walking ?

I think they’re introducing a 35k walk and getting rid of the 20k and 50k. Something to do with gender equality as the women don’t have a 50k walk.

Boyce hanging in there.

Diniz is some lad. He won’t give up.

He has just given up.

2 Likes

A look at the discussion here about the corresponding race in 2016 shows this Diniz character has form for stopping multiple times during races. It’s quite sad really. He appears to be the Jimmy White of race walking, having won a load of European Championship gold medals, a World Championship in 2017 and holding the world record, but seems to literally shit it each time on the really big occasion, and at 43 years old, you’d think this might be the last one for him, what with the event being abolished after this and all.

The squarehead pulling away here

Good omen for the Limerick hurlers.

Still a long way to go. Boyce looks better now than he did 10k back.

1 Like

90 odd minutes to go. He’ll be reeled in.

Down to 56 athletes now.

It’s fucking Crazy. High 20s and 90 per cent humidity.

1 Like

They’ll be picking them up off the tarmac once they hit 40k.

1 Like

Boyce has a medal chance here. He’s crazy enough to stick at it

1 Like

Don’t think he has any warnings yet either which has to be a help.

1 Like