The Olympics

Have you heard/seen those Colm Murray reports? Fuck’s sake the guy is a prize gobshite - these chop sticks will never catch on in Ireland, they’re not very convenient…

I have mentioned them in the things that are wrong thread. Jesus they’re brutal. Teeeee ammmm ann Sqau…

Chilling out, watching the opening ceremony, those chinese fellas can put on a show.

Bit bored cause Im stuck in the office for a few hours today so I stuck on the tv and ended up watching some of the womens weightlifting. When the Silver medal had been decided by some Chinese Taipei bird almost killing herself by trying to lift too much it cut back to the bird from Turkey who won the silver. She was bawling and crying like a crazed fook. The commentator says calmly as you like " “insert name” celebrates." Celebrates? It looked like she was having a fit to me. She didnt even win for fooks sake. A silver medal means you fell short and weren’t good enough. Come to think of it maybe thats why she was in such a state.

Anyone watching the boxing? The Samoan looks to be in serious trouble.

Hope he’s ok

After a long night sipping the Captain Morgan’s I arose this morning, and decided that my first Olympic experience would be to pop across the road to the Worker’s Gymnasium and watch a spot of boxing. A light repast of porridge and grapes later I strolled through the heat and smog the short distance to the venue. Tickets from the Chinese scalper cost 260rmb(26e approx) for an 80rmb ticket. Taking our seats in the 5/8ths full venue the atmosphere was electric as a Chinese boxer and the crowd in general took on the a Russian. The home crowd were to be disappointed.
John Joe Joyce was up in three bouts time, so we sat back and let the Olympic spirit envelope us. As the only nation to define ourselves by sporting oversize novelty hats, the substantial Irish support was readily visible, and began to concentrate on two areas of seating on opposite sides of the stadium. Amongst our crew were some members of St. Michael’s Club in Athy (Johnny’s club). Hungarian Gyula Kate was first into the arena, reserved but displaying a confidence that a previous victory over Joyce must have instilled. The cheer to greet John Joe signalled the Irish as by far the largest minority group in the stadium and he looked confident as he bounced around the ring pre-fight. The proof of the pudding is in the eating and it was the Hungarian who took the first bite, landing a left hook to score. A cagey, tight affair, it was obvious from the off that this wouldn’t be the cakewalk enjoyed by Ken Egan yesterday. The tension was palpable as Joyce, looking to the untrained eye as the less skillful, kept it tight at first. The relief when he scored his first point midway through the first round was palpable. The second round was equally tight. Kate was often the aggressor but struggled to get inside and Joyce was always a danger to the eastern european, especially with his excellent body shots.
‘Don’t fight him Johnny, box him’ was the shout and he took heed, for the third round was the defining one, with Joyce managing to pull 3 clear of his opponent. Ole, ole rang around the stadium, and with Irish geniality winning the Chinese crowd over the fourth was to prove a joyous celebration. Joyce dropped the guard, and continued to entice Kate as the crowd implored him to dance. ‘On yer bike Johnny’ rang out and he stayed well out of trouble, an excellent defence which had yielded only four points in the preceeding three rounds would never be breached often enough for this fight to go the wrong way. The final twenty second countdown carnival was a joy to behold with Sino-Hiberno relations as clear a winner as the gallant John Joe Joyce. Nine points to five is a low scoring affair, but Joyce controlled from the second round, hopefully a sign of things to come. Delighted with his win, he saluted the crowd who had cheered him on, took his club flag for the post match interviews and savoured his Olympic debut.
My own Olympic virginity lost, I stayed for a few more bouts, fully enjoying the occasion. Marty Morrisey interviewed the fans, Sliabh na Mon was sung. To our suprise John Joe emerged into the stands some thirty minutes later to chat with the congregation of friends wellwishers. Obviously elated, he accepted our congratulations and handshakes with a wide grin.
Let’s hope we see it again.

Thats a great account juhniallo, what an experience. Nice to hear JJJ mingled with the folks, great start for him.

Also I may have found out why things did not go so well for Burtnett, I think we need an inquiry into this.

http://dynimg.rte.ie/0001a5ea28a.jpg

[quote=“myboyblue”]Thats a great account juhniallo, what an experience. Nice to hear JJJ mingled with the folks, great start for him.

Also I may have found out why things did not go so well for Burtnett, I think we need an inquiry into this.

http://dynimg.rte.ie/0001a5ea28a.jpg[/quote]

Heard Burnett being interviewed on RTE radio this morning. Utter disappointment from him and ended up pretty much a blubbering wreck by the end of the interview. Said he gave up a lot personally for the Olympics only for it to turn out as a complete disaster.

Did his gun get stuck or something like that half way through it? He was well in contention up till that point apparently?

Something about one of the targets he shot was broken so he had to reshoot and missed and he didn’t recover. Something like that anyway.

We might see Harrington collecting a Gold in London Olympics as apparently golf, rugby sevens, karate, squash and roller sports are in the running to replace baseball/softball as an Olympic sport.

I watched the Ladies cycling on BBC yesterday morning when GB won their first gold, the tv showed the Italian girl (Who came third) celebrating. The BBC commentator said “I don’t know what all the celebrating is for, she only got a bronze”

Best excuse ever

Ireland’s Melanie Nocher failed to progress from her 200m freestyle heat in Beijing, finishing in a disappointing 7th place after a mishap with her goggles.

Nocher got off to a decent start in the race but paused to readjust her goggles just 30 seconds into the race, losing ground on the leaders.

Her time of 2:04.29, was 3.5 seconds behind the winner, Estonia’s Elina Partoka, and two seconds outside of her personal best.

If Derek Burnett had got a medal it would have been the greatest day for for shooting in Longford since John Carthy was shot at Abbeylara. We would have seen kids all over Ireland throwing away their footballs, hurleys and playstations and getting their parents to buy them guns. Oh wait, that happens in half of Dublin anyway.

Can’t believe we didn’t round up every scumbag in O’Devaney Gardens, send them off to Beijing and enter them in the shooting competition. They would have been guaranteed to get us a few medals and then they could have stayed in China after the games to be packed off to re-education camp .

[quote=“myboyblue”]Best excuse ever

Ireland’s Melanie Nocher failed to progress from her 200m freestyle heat in Beijing, finishing in a disappointing 7th place after a mishap with her goggles.

Nocher got off to a decent start in the race but paused to readjust her goggles just 30 seconds into the race, losing ground on the leaders.

Her time of 2:04.29, was 3.5 seconds behind the winner, Estonia’s Elina Partoka, and two seconds outside of her personal best.[/quote]

There’s an indepth analysis of this on RTE2 now between Billo and Gary the tool. Apparently if she had worn 2 hats she would have been fine!

The Irish Olympic council supplied her with hats that have a logo on them which arent allowed in the olympics. When she eventually got a hat that is allowed it was too big for her head and affected the normal way she wears her goggles(think she normally wears them inside but the hat was too loose) her goggles slipped down to her nose and flooded and she couldn’t see, hence had to stop to readjust them.
Felt awful sorry for her awful embarassing and typical of the cock ups that seem to follow Irish Sporting bodies, it wasn’t her fault them fookin clowns should have known the rules.
Bernard Dunne is on now, I’d love to beat him to death with a bag of Hunky Dory crisps filled with lead weights, the sickenin cunt, Jimmy Magee is probably under the table blowin him off.

I’m glad to see a few Bernard Dunne haters on here.

I suppose it’s no surprise to see Switzerland do so poorly at the Beach Volleyball.

[quote=“balloobasluvsbeer”]The Irish Olympic council supplied her with hats that have a logo on them which arent allowed in the olympics. When she eventually got a hat that is allowed it was too big for her head and affected the normal way she wears her goggles(think she normally wears them inside but the hat was too loose) her goggles slipped down to her nose and flooded and she couldn’t see, hence had to stop to readjust them.
Felt awful sorry for her awful embarassing and typical of the cock ups that seem to follow Irish Sporting bodies, it wasn’t her fault them fookin clowns should have known the rules.
Bernard Dunne is on now, I’d love to beat him to death with a bag of Hunky Dory crisps filled with lead weights, the sickenin cunt, Jimmy Magee is probably under the table blowin him off.[/quote]

Did she not try on the hat beforehand to see if it was ok? Surely any athlete with any reasonable level of professionalism would have meticulous preparations for an occasion like that. It would be like one of the hurlers yesterday putting on a helmet he’d never worn before. Shouldn’t happen.

In any case could she not have just closed her eyes and ploughed on considering she just has to go in a straight line?

[quote=“Jugs”]Did she not try on the hat beforehand to see if it was ok? Surely any athlete with any reasonable level of professionalism would have meticulous preparations for an occasion like that. It would be like one of the hurlers yesterday putting on a helmet he’d never worn before. Shouldn’t happen.

In any case could she not have just closed her eyes and ploughed on considering she just has to go in a straight line?[/quote]

Jugs, you can never predict what a female will do at any time.