The Olympics

Not surprised we’re doing so shit, considering 1/3 of our sports budget goes to horse racing! A national scandal.

I got the impression it was a last minute job when they found out and got the new hat(according to the round up program later I didn’t see it live). She knew it was a bit big but the Irish tooles over her didn’t have her size on hand. The boys in the studio were saying she should have got 2 of the big hats and stuck them on top of each other.
Apparently thats what Phelps does in every race regardless.
I just think it’s a complete shambles when the council that were over you and supplying you with the gear didn’t know until the last minute the hat wasn’t suitable.
Surely thats more their fault than hers the poor auld bitch.

Here you go

OCI blasts Swim Ireland Melanie Nocher paid the penalty for a bureaucratic gaffe Confusion reigned again on Monday over exactly why Ireland’s three Olympic swimmers have been wearing black Speedo caps in the Beijing pool rather than their shamrock-logoed Irish caps.

The whispers began when Andrew Bree, the first Irish competitor in action at the Water Cube, wore a black cap for Saturday’s 100 metres breaststroke heats.

Bree actually wore his white Ireland cap under the black one, revealing it after the race.

On Sunday, 18-year-old Dubliner Aisling Cooney was also clad in all black for her 100m backstroke heat.

Media reports then surfaced alleging that the shamrock logo contravenes Olympic rules on logo size.

Keith Bewley, the Irish swimming team manager, told the Irish Independent: 'I could understand if it was a big sponsor’s sign, which is probably what the rule was originally designed for, but this is the national symbol.

‘FINA (the international governing body of swimming) don’t have this rule, but it’s too late now to get new ones made up, so we just have to wear plain black caps instead.’

However, the Olympic Council of Ireland has released a statement insisting that the wearing of the black caps has nothing to do with a banning of the shamrock logo.

‘Further to media enquiries, the Olympic Council of Ireland wish to clarify the situation regarding the shamrock on Andrew Bree’s swimming cap,’ the statement read.

‘Poolside Olympic officials at the swimming venue refused to let Andrew wear his competition cap because of the size and number of the commercial logos on the item - not the shamrock symbol.’

The OCI statement also lays the blame for the problem on Swim Ireland, the national swimming federation.

'Swim Ireland, who are responsible for swimming performance gear, were instructed on many occasions by the OCI that the swimming gear should be unbranded - and this requirement was accepted and agreed.

'Wherever possible, the International Olympic Committee encourages all nations to maximise their national identity on all Olympic clothing equipment and accessories.

‘They particularly encourage the use of national colours and symbols.’

The farcical nature of the situation really struck home on Monday when Belfast swimmer Melanie Nocher had to readjust her goggles during her 200m freestyle heat.

As she explained afterwards, the goggles mishap was largely down to the fact that she was wearing a new cap.
‘My goggles filled up with water as soon as I dived in, I couldn’t see anything even to spot my turns,’ Nocher conceded.

'I was going to stop and try and fix them but that would have made things worse.

‘I had to put my goggles on the outside, rather than on the inside as I normally would because it was a different cap and that’s what probably did it.’

The kayaking final has just finished, sat down for a minute and ended up watching it all because of Eoin Rheinisch’s performance for Ireland. He qualified 15th of 15 for the semi final and 10th of 10 for the final and times carry over so it was a massive ask of him to get anywhere near a medal. he went first and his run was good. With five competitors to go Eoin was in gold medal position still and with one competitor to go, the fastest qualifier, eoin still held the bronze medal position. unfortunately the last guy just got the bronze medal and eoin was pushed out to fourth. still he really performed in the final to go from last to fourth. fair play to him.

Ah balls. There was a lot of controversy with his qualification yesterday as well. Still though, a savage performance to come so close.

The special olympics is our forte, which proves we are a nation of handicaps!

Comes from a serious hurling family too.
I knew his da’

[quote=“myboyblue”]Here you go

OCI blasts Swim Ireland Melanie Nocher paid the penalty for a bureaucratic gaffe Confusion reigned again on Monday over exactly why Ireland’s three Olympic swimmers have been wearing black Speedo caps in the Beijing pool rather than their shamrock-logoed Irish caps.

The whispers began when Andrew Bree, the first Irish competitor in action at the Water Cube, wore a black cap for Saturday’s 100 metres breaststroke heats.

Bree actually wore his white Ireland cap under the black one, revealing it after the race.

On Sunday, 18-year-old Dubliner Aisling Cooney was also clad in all black for her 100m backstroke heat.

Media reports then surfaced alleging that the shamrock logo contravenes Olympic rules on logo size.

Keith Bewley, the Irish swimming team manager, told the Irish Independent: 'I could understand if it was a big sponsor’s sign, which is probably what the rule was originally designed for, but this is the national symbol.

‘FINA (the international governing body of swimming) don’t have this rule, but it’s too late now to get new ones made up, so we just have to wear plain black caps instead.’

However, the Olympic Council of Ireland has released a statement insisting that the wearing of the black caps has nothing to do with a banning of the shamrock logo.

‘Further to media enquiries, the Olympic Council of Ireland wish to clarify the situation regarding the shamrock on Andrew Bree’s swimming cap,’ the statement read.

‘Poolside Olympic officials at the swimming venue refused to let Andrew wear his competition cap because of the size and number of the commercial logos on the item - not the shamrock symbol.’

The OCI statement also lays the blame for the problem on Swim Ireland, the national swimming federation.

'Swim Ireland, who are responsible for swimming performance gear, were instructed on many occasions by the OCI that the swimming gear should be unbranded - and this requirement was accepted and agreed.

'Wherever possible, the International Olympic Committee encourages all nations to maximise their national identity on all Olympic clothing equipment and accessories.

‘They particularly encourage the use of national colours and symbols.’

The farcical nature of the situation really struck home on Monday when Belfast swimmer Melanie Nocher had to readjust her goggles during her 200m freestyle heat.

As she explained afterwards, the goggles mishap was largely down to the fact that she was wearing a new cap.
‘My goggles filled up with water as soon as I dived in, I couldn’t see anything even to spot my turns,’ Nocher conceded.

'I was going to stop and try and fix them but that would have made things worse.

‘I had to put my goggles on the outside, rather than on the inside as I normally would because it was a different cap and that’s what probably did it.’[/quote]

That may get the swimmer off the hook. But what the fuck!

At this level she should have known what fit and what didn’t. Not only that, how many swimmers wear goggles and no hat, bollox to the hat story. Also she would have known when the wall was coming up to get ready to turn/ tumble just by stroke count, so she could have completed the event without goggles. Tripe. Overawed and underclass.

Plenty swimmers over the years have competed without goggles ffs. Spitz being only one.

We should keep our swimmers out of the Games until they are able to qualify at US type trials.

The point is, yet anouther Irish athlete has been hindered by bureaucracy. When will we learn? Its a joke.

Also the situation arose where the Shamrock was prevented from being shown on a Swimmers head, for whatever reason, because of the stupidity of our games administrators. When will they learn?

There is a distinct lack of breasts amongst the female participants at the olympics (as usual).

Are the small breasts a result of them being athletes? (the training etc)

or

Are they athletes as a result of having small breasts? (having no friends due to being mamarrially challeneged, having to run away from bullies etc)

You said you were too busy finishing your thesis to play with TFK tonight.

Liar.

Liar.

Pants on fire.

Super swim there from Andrew Bree in the 200 breast stroke. Won his heat and broke the Irish record to quailify for the semi’s tomorrow.

Superb news, well done Andrew.

Quite enjoying the Olympics I have to say.

Phelps pursuit of 8 golds is really interesting and the relay yesterday was sensational. Also thoroughly enjoyed Stephanie Rice’s gold medal - I fancy her.

Watched the HockeyRoos the other night too and they came through 5-4 against Korea having been 4-1 behind. My player cam was on Nikkey Hudson for the entire game. Jesus I’d love to lick the sweat off her.

And what about Argentina’s goal the other night against the SoccerRoos? Sensational. Class build-up between Riquelme and Messi, a lovely cross from the lad whose name escapes me but looks like a great prospect and a smashing finish.

Volleyball is gay though.

What time is the boxing today ?

OK, Its on now. Ref is just about to get it going…

Is your man Nevin fighting today?

If so what time?

End of Round 1, No score. 0-0

Very tight and cagey affair so far 0 -1 to nevin in the second

End of Round 2, winning 3-2