The Open

Barry Lane will get proceedings at Royal Lytham & St. Anne’s Golf underway at 06.19 on Thursday. I famously backed Darren Clarke to win this last year at 100/1. This year he can be got as high at 150/1 but I will be steering clear. Head green keeper Paul Smith and his staff have done a great job to get the course ready and I for one will be avidly tuning into Aunty when Eurosport, ITV4 and TG4 are all on ad breaks during their the tour de france live coverage or highlights packages.

Ditto!
If the weather stays as is you’d want to be backing a Paul Lawrie (66/1) or Padraig Harrington (18/1) for your 7 placing each way bet. Of the Americans, Hunter Mahan (40/1) is steady too and could be good value. Both Schwartzel and Oosthuizen are annoyingly consistent too and could be there or thereabouts.

[quote=“Scrunchie, post: 695846”]Ditto!
If the weather stays as is you’d want to be backing a Paul Lawrie (66/1) or Padraig Harrington (18/1) for your 7 placing each way bet. Of the Americans, Hunter Mahan (40/1) is steady too and could be good value. Both Schwartzel and Oosthuizen are annoyingly consistent too and could be there or thereabouts.
[/quote]

Fair play for giving Michael Owen a betting tip on Twitter just now. :clap:

I’ll be following GMac, Dyson and Noren as they are all vaccum cleaners. 33’s, 110’s & 125’s respectively.

Hope you clean up Juhy

Appaling stuff DB, but I’ll just have to suck it up.

British Open is definitely the weakest of the Majors. The pros routinely beat the shit out of whatever half arsed links they host it at. Unless there’s a howling gale the tournament inevitably resembles a glorified pitch and putt.

Didn’t Jamie Donaldson win The Open 2 or 3 weeks ago up on our northern coast in Portrush? Someone should set up a thread for The British Open though.

Tiger woods has said the rough is unplayable and the forecast is for shot weather. It could well be a bloodbath fagan.

It will in me hole. Tiger would get around Lytham with a sand wedge and a putter. Winner will post a score of at least minus 18.

It’s 10/11 that the winning score will be under par

Good to see you contribute to this thread this year tdb.

Why wouldn’t I mate??

I’ll prob stick to the official thread though when the tournament gets under way

I feel I’ll be reminding you of this come Sunday Fagan. Just heard Champ Clarke on the radio about how hard it’ll be.

He’s hardly going to come out and say this thing will be a fucking doddle is he?

Golfers can’t lose by coming out and saying how difficult it’s going to be. If they do manage to post a good score it’s an amazing performance against the odds. If they don’t then it’s “I told you so”

There will be a preview show on aunty two at 11.20 tonight for this.

Thanks for the heads up Larry. This is a very informative thread.

Disappointed to see Larry liking his own post at the start.

larryduff must have the life of riley…