The Orange Goat, Killester, Dublin 5 stalking thread

Joe had a lovely cut off Mickey again this week in his podcast. Joe is tremendous fun and will make a great president. I particularly loved how he managed to cut the shit out of the Premier League and the Liverpool Footices, while ignoring the fact that he was advertising NOWTV and the splendour of the Man City Liverpool rivalry only a few short weeks ago. Not to mention laying waste to the money taking coaching bluffers in the GAA as well.

He is some man.

2 Likes

I think McFaul learned a harsh lesson.

Once its learned, thats all that matters. Much like Kyler, you’d hope he appreciates how lucky he is that it didnt end much much worse.

Ciaran is a quiet lad, a gentle soul and and as well-mannered a young man as you could hope to meet. I hate to think what those donegal lads did to force him to put manners on all three of them

I hope so. We can all stumble. Its how we pick ourselves up that counts.

He’s getting a lot of mileage out of a one match ban.

It’s not the worst thing that has been done on a Gaelic pitch’ – Brian Fenton vows to learn from ‘harsh’ red card

Dermot Crowe

Brian Fenton: ‘The silver lining on the suspension is that it gives you a real appreciation of what we do and how lucky we are to be a part of it.’ Photo: Dan Sheridan/Inpho

Brian Fenton has revisited his recent red card, saying the incident was borne “out of frustration”.

The All-Star midfielder missed Dublin’s first championship match against Meath last Sunday after getting his marching orders in the National League final defeat by Derry.

Fenton reacted to a challenge by Derry’s Eunan Mulholland and was sent off by referee Conor Lane after he consulted with linesman David Coldrick, resulting in a one-match ban.

The Raheny player, twice crowned Footballer of the Year, requested a hearing to contest the red card but the Central Hearings Committee (CHC) found the Category 3 infraction “proven” and applied the suspension.

“As a player, I’ll stand my ground but I’ve never been a kind of reactive player,” he said while attending a media event held by Dublin sponsors Staycity Aparthotels.

“That was probably the most disappointing thing, and it was more so that we were three points down, this was before the last-minute goal, so it was kind of like the game was gone from us as little bit.

Advertisement

Scroll to continue with content

“So, yeah, it was borne out of frustration really. I think there were loads of factors to it, I think there was definitely a bit of playacting in many ways but it was my own fault even to get involved in it really. I suppose there are big learnings in it in that way.”

Fenton (31), a seven-time All-Ireland winner, felt the decision was “harsh”, having been reported for “behaving in any way which is dangerous to an opponent”.

His reputation for good discipline, having never been sent off previously for club or county, was a factor in requesting a hearing.

“In my opinion there was definitely no striking action or nothing overly dangerous, we play the game and it’s physical and there’s contact,” he said.

“I have never struck a player and never been in red card territory before, so it was definitely very new. So, yeah, we had a look at it and thought appealing it would be a good exercise.”

The option of a further appeal to the Central Appeals Committee was considered, but waived.

“I just kind of said to Dessie (Farrell), ‘Look, give it one crack maybe,’ because I didn’t want it to be a distraction for the team on match week, because the management obviously have to see what players are available and pick the team and iron out some tactical stuff with the team.”

Fenton said that he doesn’t intend reliving the experience.

“It has just never been part of my game. Look in retrospect, OK there will be an asterisk against the name but I don’t think I will be too ashamed of it down the line. It’s not the worst thing that has been done on a Gaelic pitch, I suppose. It’s a big learning, I suppose.

“I think with Mickey Harte teams I have always been closely marked, with Tyrone down through the years and now with Derry, and it’s something I will have to get used to for the summer, that close attention and off-the-ball stuff.”

Fenton reacted after getting struck by a closed fist by Mulholland and raced over to confront the player with the play having moved up the field.

“You could see the closed fist coming in, it’s not something I would ever leave in there, and it’s not something I like in the game, to be totally honest with you. So, definitely it peed me off a little bit.

“Often you can’t protect yourself because you are probably carrying the ball. You see it in hurling, the kind of clip across the elbow that they don’t like, kind of red card offences.

“And it’s something I would be of the opinion that goes missed a lot of the times by referees. You can get away with it, if you know what I mean.

“And it can be a very hurtful, dangerous, kind of nasty little thing to do. Look, I suppose that was where the frustration came out of.”

Fenton watched the Meath match at home on television. “It’s mad. It’s probably like a window into retirement in many ways. Like, Jesus, this is what it’s all about, I used to be out there and that kind of stuff. When I retire, I’ll definitely go to Hill 16 I’d say. But it is weird.”

He acknowledged the increased threat posed by Derry to Dublin’s title this year.

“They’re definitely one of many. Or one of a good few anyway. The chat has quietened a lot on Kerry and I would take that dangerously.

“I think it’s dangerous to downplay Kerry. They’re an incredible team. Similarly Mayo, we can never seem to get away from Mayo as well.”

Watching Dublin play on television deepened his appreciation of being involved in another campaign.

“In my 10th season you could fall into the trap of being very used to this, that this is normal life, but if anything, the silver lining on the suspension is that it gives you a real appreciation of what we do and how lucky we are to be a part of it.”

1 Like

A wee dig in the ribs like. What a yap

It would be best described as a cheap shot

All 5 foot 7 of Eunie really wound him up like a kipper.

No actual mention of what he got sent off for…‘reacting’ apparently…

The ulater lads get very touchy when their cynicism is called out but disappointed in @peddlerscross whipping out the ‘sure he is only a small lad’ defence.

Is it true you were an all ireland champion at pissing and whinging as a mere 15 year old?

Touchy? Shur fenton admitted he couldn’t cope with being three points down so he had to hit someone…but that the red card shouldn’t stand, because he doesn’t get red cards?
And he missed out on a handy run out against meath.
A real tear jerker all round.

2 Likes

I was never a ‘mere’ fifteen year old

Was still a cheap shot .

You were an adult before your time.
Not allowed enjoy your youth.

1 Like

It was a nothing shot, happens all the time- fenton said he didn’t even know where he had been hit…just that he saw it.

Its very obvious from Fenton’s comments that Derry are living rent free inside Dublin’s heads.

He had the lads circling fair quick here.

7 time all Ireland senior inter county winner badly rattled by 0 time all
Ireland winner :joy: vintage TFK

2 Likes