The Pay Your Respects to Dead Racehorses Thread

Went to the festival in 2010 and a fella came with us we only half knew. A sound man in fairness but he was living in Germany and used follow the racing for want of something to do at weekend over there. He was fair sweet on Dunguib in the supremesā€¦ All the way over on the boat he was talking up his chances, the Monday night he was talking him up, pondering what price he would go off etc. None of us were mad keen on it but not to the extent we were putting him off it either

Race day arrives anyway and all morning the talk was the wallop he was going to have at Dunguib on the trackā€¦ We thought maybe a hundred or so would be the stake as I said we didnā€™t really know himā€¦

He wandered off in search of value anyway and we saw no more of him. Dunguib flopped anyway, inevitably. We had a usual spot for gathering after a race where we could get a pint and a post mortem. He never showed. We reckoned he was licking his wounds and we would see him laterā€¦ No sign of himā€¦ Wasnā€™t answering the phone but didnā€™t take any notice of that

Anyways at end of racing we went into town, assumed yer man had met some pals and we would find him somewhereā€¦ We went for a heap of pints anyway and went back to the house at closing time.

There he was. All he was short was a shotgunā€¦ He had a bottle of whiskey polishedā€¦ He was seething stillā€¦ He had gone in and had 2k on Dunguib, basically all the cash he had brought to Cheltenhamā€¦ He brought no bank cards with him to races and didnā€™t know us well enough to ask for a subā€¦ So in a fit of pique and shame he fucked off back to the house after the arkle :joy::joy::joy:

11 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

I went a few years on the ucd trip. Some of the greatest days of my life.

2 Likes

Great trip. I was never a fan of the town at night really thoughā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s some laugh. Itā€™s too small a town really for a proper night out but when there was 30 of us on the bus youā€™d always have a great laugh.

We stayed up in the hills one year. About an hour away. The bus couldnā€™t fit up the lane for the last half mile so we were piggy backing the women at 3 in the morning back into the accommodation. A miracle nobody got broke up badly.

4 Likes

Itā€™s pretty much a ghost town apart from few bars.

1 Like

Thatā€™s bad bank management.

3 Likes

:joy: Understatement of the century

1 Like

He was dead 2 or 3 months according to Elliot.

Heā€™s probably been dead for years.

Took CAB that long to sort out the paperwork

What happened the poor fella?

Gordon said he died from colic in the yard 3 months ago after being retired.

The reports the other day were saying he died from an infection while in training.

Something appears up at Elliots

RIP Zoffany

A friend of mine has a horse with Gordon (not much of a prospect by all accounts), and sent him a message wondering how the horse was progressing.

Gordon sent him back a WhatsApp video of clearly a different horse out cantering and voice note saying ā€œOh ya horse coming on well now etc.ā€.

6 Likes

:smile:

Gordon probably isnā€™t as clever as he thinks he is in some waysā€¦lads will get fair sick of that shit.

1 Like

Itā€™ll be interesting to see how he gets on in the grade ones in Cheltenham this year. The most amount of horses and the most expensively purchased horses mean heā€™ll need to be making a serious dent in these grade ones. At the moment ballyadam looks to be his his 2 miler/2 and a half miler novice hurdler.

Youā€™re going to be as happy as a dog with two mickeys this year mate. Liverpool in the midst of a mental breakdown and Utd cantering home and the emperors new clothes, Gordonā€™s operation being found out.

2 Likes