The Perfect Full Irish Breakfast Thread

A thread to log quality products that should form part of the perfect full Irish. This is not a thread to log mass produced abominations like Denny’s sausages or Galtee rashers. This is a thread for those who would like to go that bit extra for a decent feed and not suffer that sinking feeling you get when the pans fills up with the brine off a bad rasher.

My current top products are

Rashers. O’Neill dry cure back rashers. From Enniscorthy, but available in Ardkeen Stores, Waterford, Nolan’s, Clontarf and Smyth’s Butchers Portmarnock. 8 rashers for €3.99. These are quite simply the best rashers I have ever tasted and they represent remarkable value. A thick lump of a rasher done in a lovely sweet cure, that caramelises beautifully around the edges on the pan.
Acceptable substitute. Lidl unsmoked sweet cure bacon. 6 rasher fillets (ie no rind) for 1.99.

Sausages. I am a big fan of the Lidl Irish sausage range. I think that their Pork and Spring Onion range marginally beats their Steak and Black Pepper sausage. But it’s close and frankly either would do me. €1.99 for six of these beauties represents super value. Get up early though. They need a bit of cooking.

Acceptable substitute. It was indeed good news that the grand old staple of the Irish breakfast, the Superquinn sausage, was going to survive the Super Valu cull. While it could never be accused of containing the finest in meat, it’s peppery kick always made it a welcome addition to the breakfast plate. Not cheap though. €3.99 for 12.

Pudding. The texture of the pudding is a personal thing. I love the lovely oatmeal texture of the Clonakilty pudding. Black and White. Widely available, deliciously flavoured. I wouldn’t look beyond Clonakilty. Again not cheap. €2.49 for a modestly sized pudding.

1 Like

my ould fella hates cunts who grill a breakfast, it has to be fried and eaten whilst listening to Sunday Miscellany
also, i cannot eat a breakfast w/0 toast, i simply have to put a sausage, pudding in a slice of toast, break it in half and eat in, usually with my hands covered in newspaper ink

[quote=“mickee321, post: 845250, member: 367”]my ould fella hates cunts who grill a breakfast, it has to be fried and eaten whilst listening to Sunday Miscellany
also, i cannot eat a breakfast w/0 toast, i simply have to put a sausage, pudding in a slice of toast, break it in half and eat in, usually with my hands covered in newspaper ink[/quote]

We were over in my grannies one day recently. She makes a great fry up with produce from the butchers down in Fairview. My brother is on a health kick or some shite and suggested that he’d like his grilled. My nana looked at him as if he’d just announced that he was a homosexual drag queen.
Which, I think, is proper order. Fried all the fucking way, please.

[quote=“mickee321, post: 845250, member: 367”]my ould fella hates cunts who grill a breakfast, it has to be fried and eaten whilst listening to Sunday Miscellany
also, i cannot eat a breakfast w/0 toast, i simply have to put a sausage, pudding in a slice of toast, break it in half and eat in, usually with my hands covered in newspaper ink[/quote]
I agree with your ould fella Mickee. It has to be fried.

[quote=“Thrawneen, post: 845254, member: 129”]We were over in my grannies one day recently. She makes a great fry up with produce from the butchers down in Fairview. My brother is on a health kick or some shite and suggested that he’d like his grilled. My nana looked at him as if he’d just announced that he was a homosexual drag queen.
Which, I think, is proper order. Fried all the fucking way, please.[/quote]

christ, the brother must be some eejit, do shit like that when yo’re in the privacy of your own home

He’s a grand lad but he has no fucking tact at all. Baby of the family.

[quote=“Fagan ODowd, post: 845249, member: 706”]A thread to log quality products that should form part of the perfect full Irish. This is not a thread to log mass produced abominations like Denny’s sausages or Galtee rashers. This is a thread for those who would like to go that bit extra for a decent feed and not suffer that sinking feeling you get when the pans fills up with the brine off a bad rasher.

My current top products are

Rashers. O’Neill dry cure back rashers. From Enniscorthy, but available in Ardkeen Stores, Waterford, Nolan’s, Clontarf and Smyth’s Butchers Portmarnock. 8 rashers for €3.99. These are quite simply the best rashers I have ever tasted and they represent remarkable value. A thick lump of a rasher done in a lovely sweet cure, that caramelises beautifully around the edges on the pan.
Acceptable substitute. Lidl unsmoked sweet cure bacon. 6 rasher fillets (ie no rind) for 1.99.

Sausages. I am a big fan of the Lidl Irish sausage range. I think the their Pork and Spring Onion range marginally beats their Steak and Black Pepper sausage. But it’s close and frankly either would do me. €1.99 for six of these beauties represents super value. Get up early though. They need a bit of cooking.

Acceptable substitute. It was indeed good news that the grand old staple of the Irish breakfast, the Superquinn sausage, was going to survive the Super Valu cull. While it could never be accused of containing the finest in meat, it’s peppery kick always made it a welcome addition to the breakfast plate. Not cheap though. €3.99 for 12.

Pudding. The texture of the pudding is a personal thing. I love the lovely oatmeal texture of the Clonakilty pudding. Black and White. Widely available, deliciously flavoured. I wouldn’t look beyond Clonakilty. Again not cheap. €2.49 for a modestly sized pudding.[/quote]
Smyths are a noble butcher. Wished they’d taken that unit at Sutton Cross instead of Tony Higgins who has always been #2 in Portmarnock.

imagine if he hollowed out the bread roll as well and asked for a low fat spread

The bread debate on this one is always interesting. I wouldn’t go near toast, unless VERY lightly done. And give me Brennan’s plain white with a fine layer of real butter or batch any day over your soda bread or whatnot.

would you put a sausage or a bit of white pudding on the toast?
i could eat 4-6 slices of toast with the breakfast washed down with a load of tea, never coffee, coffee can never be taken with a breakfast

Brennan’s for fuck sake. They’ve ruined the Irish bakery tradition. Thanks be to jaysus they were too thick in Waterford to fall for old Mr Brennan’s bolloxology and you can still get a decent turnover.

can one accompany mushrooms with the breakfast?
i personally cannot stand eggs ( apart from an omelette)
hash browns are an abomination and should never be served

I’ve been to Higgins’s once and I wasn’t overly impressed. I’d say his pricing strategy was driven by the Celtic tiger nouveaus out in Riviera Fingal, but I don’t think it will last pissing time in Methodist penny pinching Sutton.

[quote=“mickee321, post: 845273, member: 367”]can one accompany mushrooms with the breakfast?
i personally cannot stand eggs ( apart from an omelette)
hash browns are an abomination and should never be served[/quote]
I would favour mushrooms and would also fry up left over boiled potatoes or make potato cakes out of left over mash. I don’t care for fried bread though.

one time back in the late 80’s when we had no money (probably after euro 88) the father served us something called scoutch at home, apparently its just left over spuds and fat cooked in a pan,
West Limerick natives like @TreatyStones[/USER] and at @[USER=207]Rintintin will be well used to this

[quote=“mickee321, post: 845271, member: 367”]would you put a sausage or a bit of white pudding on the toast?
i could eat 4-6 slices of toast with the breakfast washed down with a load of tea, never coffee, coffee can never be taken with a breakfast[/quote]

I’d put the whole shebang on the toast and attack it with a knife and fork. I was forced to use this method recently while staying at the Ormonde in Kilkenny. Tea is a must for afterword but I like a swig of orange juice or plain water to keep the mouth lubricated during the feast.

Clonakilty Sausages rolled in ground black pepper & a light dust of salt. Under the grill until evenly browned while occasionally prodding with a knive. These bad boys have just been devoured with beans & brown bread. :clap:

:rolleyes:

This is a thread for the perfect full Irish not mass produced shit sausages.

Are all Sausages not mass produced? Even the local butcher mass produces his products.