The Prestigious Europa League 2015/2016 thread

Brown tends to look shite on nights like this. His passing isn’t good enough and he can’t really get beyond their midfield so he ends up just being another slow link in our chain of passing.

I think we need to change our shape and do so immediately. There’s no point in persisting with this look when they’ve got their ideal situation - they want Boyata and Ambrose on the ball all game and they’ll just try and stand in their passing lanes.

I’d consider dropping Bitton back to centre back and taking off Ambrose or Boyata. Will leave us more open to the counter maybe but we can keep Bitton playing facing their goal and at least we might get some incisive passing from there then.

Armstrong has done nothing all game. Very disappointing again.

And Ciftci may as well come on sooner rather than later. Not really a night for Griffiths but he has such a good shot we can’t afford to take him off.

Watching that first goal again… mother of God that’s pathetic.

Boyata’s pass is criminal. But what’s even worse is he is in a position at that time where he’s between the ball and the goal and he drifts out to the right, following a runner to leave a big hole in the middle. Ambrose is perfectly placed and… well Strachan has just explained it… but he’s in a fine position to force their midfielder to play a world class pass and he just walks out of the way. Bitton is also really poor, he has a chance to slow down their attack but he gets wrong-footed. Surface might not help but we’ve been vulnerable to the counter attack and Bitton needs to realise his objective here should be to slow them down, not to go for a wild tackle. Awful, awful, awful.

Free header in our box from a corner. Pathetic.

I stopped watching after the second goal.

cccccccooooooommmmmmmmmoooooonnnnnnnssssssssss

Should I start watching again, mate?

Ambrose/Boyataesque pass from their defender and a great finish from Commons.

And concede again straight away. Absolutely rubbish. Pathetic. Ronny rooted to his seat.

I’ll take that as a no then.

1 Like

3 men unmarked in the box there. Midfield all absent. This shape doesn’t work. Our attacking “talent” in Johansen and Armstrong isn’t anywhere near good enough to justify the exposure at the back. And I think Brown and Bitton don’t do enough as a shield either.

Don’t get me wrong, our defence is miserable, but we were completely overrun there from the tip-off.

1 Like

I agree, there is nothing more frustrating than a manager sticking with a system when it’s not working, we don’t really have a striker who can lead the line effectively by himself.

Johansen is a decent player and he has been good for us but his form has waned this season and Ronny’s loyalty to him and fucking about with the team balance is sickening. I’ve my mind made up about Armstrong as well, a nothing player. Give me Stokes over him on the left wing any day of the week, at least he makes things happen and his output is significantly better than Armstrong’s I’d imagine.

Watched their 3rd (THIRD) goal back again there. We have 6 men back - Brown, Bitton and the back 4. We allow them have 3 men unmarked in the middle. Lustig probably sees the guy on the penalty spot so holds his ground between him and the back post lad but then when the cross comes in he has every chance of cutting it out but doesn’t connect with a lazy leg.

Another free header from Kamara but he puts it wide.

Deila out.

Their 3rd goal - look at this for marking:

They have 4 players in the box and 1 guy crossing. 1 of their players in the box is offside and not even looking at the ball. So they have a crosser and 3 targets. We’re marking none of their targets and have no pressure on the ball.

We have 6 players and a goalkeeper in the box. We have 5 players between the ball and the front post. 5! This happens all the fucking time with Celtic. And remember none of those are marking anyone and none of them are actually pressing the ball. They’re all just standing in a line for some reason, apart from Bitton who is studiously ignoring the threat outside him.

Their second goal:

Look at all the players between the front post and the ball. None of them actually pressing the ball and the obvious threat is there at the back post again. Lustig making absolutely no effort to try and block the cross, Brown and Bitton doing lazy work near the ball.

Kamara with a 1v1 after a long ball over the top and he passes it just wide. Another great chance.

How can Deila not change anything?

And another decent chance on the break for Molde but their lad slips just as he comes inside the last man. Comes from a truly abysmal pass from Brown to gift them the ball.

GMS on for Armstrong.

Having Boyata and Ambrose back there is pointless. They’re just letting them on the ball the whole time. They’re not even doing basic defending but still we persist. Even Tierney for Izzy might recognise the complete ineptitude of Izzy tonight and bring some direct running on that flank.

Lustig has been a prick tonight. Absolute arsehole performance.

CIftci coming on with 15 minutes to go. Commons going off. Ridiculous call. Commons is seething and rightly so. We keep our stupid shape and that Solskjaer prick must be chuckling at us taking off our goal threat in favour of the rest of the shite midfield.

Commons was apoplectic. Roaring abuse at Kennedy and Collins. Was Ronny taking some verbals from him too?