The Prestigious Europa League thread 2018/2019

Good outcome for Leipzig . More games in this tournament is the last thing they want with the race for a champions League place in mind .

how did he play tho? seriously
i didnt see it at all
he is prolific at club level but never delivers for Israel and you should know as he was very disappointing when ye won 3-2 a few weeks back , Big 'eck named him in the pre match as one to watch as well that we spoke about in PMs.
Im assuming he will move on from Austria in the Summer

also - this is my thread- remember that

2 Likes

Celtic to play one of the following

Bayer Leverkusen
Red Bull Salzburg
Zenit
Dinamo Zagreb
Arsenal
Real Betis
Villarreal
Eintracht Frankfurt
Genk
Sevilla
Dynamo Kiev
Chelsea
Napoli
Valencia
Inter Milan
Benfica

Congratulations to Glasgow Celtic and all their supporters here. It’s all about getting the job done when it comes down to the last round of matches.

Who is going to play left back tomorrow night for Celtic, chaps?

I’d imagine Edouard won’t start but will come on. Simunovic to start ahead of Ajer?

Bain

Toljan Boyata Simunovic? AN Other

Brown McGregor

Christie

Forrest Burke Sinclair

Is Izaguirre not fit again?

I think the other 10 will be as you suggest.

I’d start Jozo ahead of Ajer.

Depending on fitness issues on the left back spot I’d go by order of preference :

1. Tierney
  2. Izzy
  3. Toljan (Lustig at rb)
  4. Hayes

I think we need a bit more defensive stability against a side like Valencia so I’d opt for Lustig coming into the team over Hayes if Izzy and Tierney don’t make it.

Rodgers said in the press conference at lunchtime that Tierney won’t be involved tomorrow despite being back training with the group. Izaguirre, Simunovic and Edouard are available, but Ntcham is out. Not sure if the latter has had a set back - he was on the bench on Sunday after getting hamstrung on the winter training camp.

1 Like

Let’s go with Izzy so.

1 Like

Ryan Nolan in the squad for Inter tomorrow night cc @mickee321

1 Like

Icardi suspended by Inter @Cicero_Dandi

He is throwing a strop after being stripped of the captaincy, refused to make himself available for the Europa game.

Are Valencia any use bhoys?

They’ve been in good form recently. Their goal difference suggests they’re low scoring but don’t concede much. But apparently been playing much more open and attacking recently, including a 2-2 draw with Barcelona two weeks ago.

They play a 4-4-2. Team something like:

Neto

Piccini Garay Gabriel Lato

Wass Coquelin Parejo Cheryshev

Rodrigo Gameiro

Their main striker is usually Mina I believe but he’s injured or something.

1 Like

What do you Mina he’s injured?

1 Like

Best of luck to the British representatives, Glasgow Celtic, Woolwich and Chelsea tomorrow night.

What year did TG4 show the Celtic v Valencia Fairs Cup tie ? It went to pelanties & was a cracking game . It was in the MON era .

MON’s second season, I think it was the 2001/02 season.

I think that year was the peak of that side, we made the UEFA Cup final the year after that but we had the likes of Agathe, Mjallby and Valgaeraan really struggling with injuries that year and Lambert was also on his last legs. If we had beaten Valencia that year it could have been ours.

1 Like

It’s a pity we had to rely so much on the likes of Sylla and Varga and an array of not quite good enough goalkeepers in the seasons after 2001/02. Because we were a very good team who could beat anyone on their day.

We were unstoppable in the league in 2003/04 and threw away the Champions League group stages in Lyon. But Mjallby was very injury prone and we had the likes of Jamie Smith and Stephen Person and Michael Gray playing too once we had injuries. The difference between the best eleven and the subs was huge - only Maloney really and could really play at the level required. And MON ran the first eleven into the ground because of that.

1 Like

Yeah. Think MON spent something like £40m in his first two seasons but hardly anything after that as the board tightened the purse strings then. Think he might have only spent around £10m in the following 3 seasons.