The Pretend Fitness 2 - the Turkish Get Up Thread

@caulifloweredneanderthal - I was only doing a few of these (Turkish get ups) yesterday … great for mobility when done right … start low and build up when you have it down.

What will you use for weights?

He’s suggesting a kettle bell (Aldi have them later this week)

He said otherwise I could use water bottles (none in the house since we greatly cut down on our plastics) or the child

1 Like

Kettle bells the job … are Aldi getting them in??? you sure?

Not until Sunday

Also getting foam rollers cc TFK fun runners

2 Likes

Lovely.

What’s a Turkish get up?

1 Like

One of the best exercises you can do for mobility (cc @Bandage) / stability and some strength work thrown in.

2 Likes

Cc @backinatracksuit & @fenwaypark

Any advice on making the transition to the 10k.

I assume it’s like training a horse for the National. You don’t have it running 4+ miles a couple times a week :sweat_smile:

Build up the miles kid … short fast runs and long slow ones … just build up the long ones bit by bit … you’re at 5k now handy enough so next long one you should aim for 6k for a couple of runs - a few 3k-4k runs thrown in-between … then up to 7k and so on … you’ve 8 weeks at it which is plenty of time … if you add a k on every two weeks you’re there.

1 Like

He was asking people who run, mate

4 Likes

I ran. and i’ll run again.

I’m gonna run the next one. I’ll go sub 90 on the 5k

You wouldn’t run a bath

1 Like

That’s a completely different sort of fitness

You got good advice from @Thomas_Brady,
You’re doing well, got up to 5k in no time, just a matter of building it up slowly, shouldn’t be any problem increasing by half a k each week. Running is very addictive I think, not ina bad way though, a small run most days satisfies it. It’s a great way to see the city as well, I’d say there’s not an alley or housing estate in Limerick I don’t know like the back of my hand now (yes I have ran through O’Malley park at the crack of dawn)

To increase your speed you should run through it at 6pm …

I’d have plenty of names to drop if I found myself in a bit of bother up there, there isn’t a gang of dangerous young fellas anywhere in Limerick that I wouldn’t have an ally in, perk of the job

2 Likes

I assume you switch hands on next one?

1 Like

Surely a few enemies as well :flushed:

Yeah, you work your way back down to ground repeating actions in reverse and start on the other side … plenty of good videos teaching technique available … the main thing is posture and doing it correctly bit by bit … like when you’re lifting your torso up you start with lower back and pull yourself up bit by bit, not shooting up in one go from the shoulders … same then when reversing back down, lower back first and you ease your self back bit by bit… so you’re working a bit of everything really -