The Pretend Fitness 2 - the Turkish Get Up Thread

If lads start doing these - worth doing a few days of each step before adding next step and putting it all together

So do steps 1 and 2 just for four or five days. Down with control. Then add step 3 etc. It’s a great exercise. Tough

1 Like

A great flow chart there … On the leg that’s bent - it’s not up completely touching your arse, the heel is about 4 inches down and just a touch outside your hip … and the arm that’s extended out for support, about 10-15 inch range is enough.

1 Like

Good breakdown here.

God no, you couldn’t be making enemies of the kids,
any teacher will tell you, it’s the bouldest ones that you’d remember the fondest.

1 Like

Can you recommend a variation for the lads hiding under a bed currently?

1 Like

Would you alternate arms after each one or a certain amount of reps?

Each one, do one side, then the other…not that MMA is all that, but this is a huge excerise MMA fighters use in training…
It’s perfect for people also who might be struggling to do certain over head weighted exercises… This works stability. Once you’ve the mechanics of it down, go as heavy as you can without overdoing it… I’ve only started doing them recently with about 4kg so I’m looking to up it.

Also… remember to point your extended arm with weigh t slightly inwards towards the way you’re lifting and not away from you or you could fuck your shoulder

How many reps to begin with

2-3 for each side to begin with is loads … they’re slow at the start - 6 of them could take 10 mins…

Something like 2 each side x 3 sets in total to begin, so 12 reps … if you were building it up to 5 each side x 3 that would be a savage workout with a decent weight… probably too much really.

Less is more to begin with — and if you’re using a decent weight once you’ve master it … i’d say 10 -12 reps would be enough

2 Likes

Do 4 or 5 each side in a row is how i was shown. But start with each step for a few days - so steps 1 and 2 and back down. It’s all about form and not just horsing up.

Start with a light weight - ideally a kettlebell but if you have a very light dumbbell hold it vertically rather than by the handle - stability challenge.

This is a good alternative to build core

1 Like

Light weight is grand for reps but if someone was jumping up to a decent weight you wouldnt do a pile of them … you’d lose form handy enough

1 Like

Either exercise will add years onto a fella.

1 Like

Dusted down the bike today , had two tyres flat and a bit of rust on the chain pads worn . Rang 4 bike shops one picked up to tell me they all full . I have no experience fixing up a bike bought the pads, chain and new tube a bit of @WD40 too took to youtube and an hour later good as new . Bike shops are only a fucking cod imo . Cunts would have charged me100 quid for that service and I’d be waiting 1-2 weeks for it .

3 Likes

You have inspired me to do the same. Need two new tyres for my bike. Have not ridden it in about 4 years

I was coasting today taking in the scenery, after all the running it was pleasure to get back on the bike . Took it handy , let gravity do most of the work . Great for shedding a few pounds also .

2 Likes

TRX @Thomas_Brady

Gamechanger for the home fitness.

2 Likes

I remember having sore arms to the extent a I couldn’t bend them after a session of Trx a few years back…

I’m just after a kettle bell work in in my jocks in the front room.

1 Like

Is that the one I brought you to in Limerick? Loved those classes. Didn’t get a single injury the few years I was doing them.