The Public Transport Thread

http://www.ardcavan.com/
Ardcavan Coaches - offering daily buses from wellington-dublin airport stopping in Wexford,Enniscorthy, Gorey and possibly arklow
also weekend services for the UL… and em Maynooth i think

[quote=“myboyblue”]18 posts and not one from Ben.

Time to sack him.[/quote]
Was stuck in the City of Edinburgh over the weekend and too tired to post anything yesterday. The U.K. transport system, although one of the slowest in the world (bollixed up in some part through privatisation) is still miles ahead of anything that Ireland has.

I’ll get a list of private bus companies operating in Ireland for the thread, meanwhile the best website for train travel in the U.K. is http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ , this site also gives timetables between Irish and U.K. train staions via ferry.

Piece of advice; Never book any UK trains on The Trainline website, the credit card fee is a disgraceful rip off. Instead book with the Train Operating Company (TOC) you travelling with for the majority of your journey, ie. http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/default.aspx , http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/ etc.

[quote=“BenShermin”]Was stuck in the City of Edinburgh over the weekend and too tired to post anything yesterday. The U.K. transport system, although one of the slowest in the world (bollixed up in some part through privatisation) is still miles ahead of anything that Ireland has.

I’ll get a list of private bus companies operating in Ireland for the thread, meanwhile the best website for train travel in the U.K. is http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ , this site also gives timetables between Irish and U.K. train staions via ferry.

Piece of advice; Never book any UK trains on The Trainline website, the credit card fee is a disgraceful rip off. Instead book with the Train Operating Company (TOC) you travelling with for the majority of your journey, ie. http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/default.aspx , http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/ etc.[/quote]

whats the craic with you, flanno and captainshan going missing for a few days and then coming back whining of hectic lifestyles and tiredness.

has ncc missed out on a gang bang?

[quote=“HBV*”]whats the craic with you, flanno and captainshan going missing for a few days and then coming back whining of hectic lifestyles and tiredness.

has ncc missed out on a gang bang?[/quote]
Please have some respect for the commuters/leisure travellers of TFK and only post relevant public transport matters on this thread, Sledgehammer did not go to all this work just so you to piss all over his thread.

Leave HBV* alone, he is an alright sort…

noted.

Of course he’s an alright sort :rolleyes:! By all means he can set up another thread to rip the pish out of me.

noted.

Good stuff, you’re an alright sort I’ve heard.

NBRU planning strike one day action on Saturday for their drivers in Dublin Bus and Bus ireann.

SIPTU planning an indefintate strike on Sunday for their drivers in Dublin Bus and Bus ireann.

Lets face it neither union are going to pass any official picket and it wouldn’t surprise me if Iarnrd ireann walk out over the weekend in a wildcat sympathy strike. Those of us with jobs are going to find it very hard to get to our workplaces over the next week if these strikes go ahead.

Benjamin, what are my options sailing from Ireland to Wales. Is it possible to sail from Dublin to Fishguard or Pembroke or do I have to so that from Rosslare?

Can’t do Dublin to South Wales unfortunately.

Your options:

Rosslare to Pembroke with Irish Ferries on the Isle of Inishmore.
Rosslare to Fishguard with Stena Line on the Stena Europe.

Stena Line also operate a fastcraft during the Summer months on the Rosslare/Fishgaurd route.

[quote=“BenShermin”]Can’t do Dublin to South Wales unfortunately.

Your options:

Rosslare to Pembroke with Irish Ferries on the Isle of Inishmore.
Rosslare to Fishguard with Stena Line on the Stena Europe.

Stena Line also operate a fastcraft during the Summer months on the Rosslare/Fishgaurd route.[/quote]

Which would you recommend Ben? Bearing in mind a train trip to Cardiff from there after arriving?

Go to Fishguard then, only Stena Line can do rail sail deals on the South Wales route for some reason.

Are you getting the train to Rosslare? If you are it’s possible to get a train ticket in an Irish Rail ticket office that will cover all your train and ferry travel to Cardiff. If you’re starting from Rosslare ask for a sail and rail to Cardiff, €40 one way or €80 return on the day. Great value in comparison with the airlines. 9am sailing off Rosslare will have you in Cardiff for around 4pm.

Bear in mind that I used to work for the Stena Line ticket desk, so I know a lot about the ticketing systems for the Irish Sea, I’m not an absolute transport nerd;)!!

[quote=“BenShermin”]Go to Fishguard then, only Stena Line can do rail sail deals on the South Wales route for some reason.

Are you getting the train to Rosslare? If you are it’s possible to get a train ticket in an Irish Rail ticket office that will cover all your train and ferry travel to Cardiff. If you’re starting from Rosslare ask for a sail and rail to Cardiff, 40 one way or 80 return on the day. Great value in comparison with the airlines. 9am sailing off Rosslare will have you in Cardiff for around 4pm.

Bear in mind that I used to work for the Stena Line ticket desk, so I know a lot about the ticketing systems for the Irish Sea, I’m not an absolute transport nerd;)!![/quote]

Invaluable Ben, thanks. Going out on a Friday and back on a Sunday. Would that ticket guarantee me a seat on the train? What time would I need to be leaving Cardiff on the way back? Presume its the same price for the return journey?

Won’t guarantee you a seat, but very few people use the train to be honest. Return is 80.

Train at 11am will have you in Rosslare for 6pm, train at 10.30pm will have you in Rosslare for 6am the next morning. Check the times with Stena staff in Rosslare to be sure. By the way I’ve spent a few late nights in Fishguard Harbour waiting on the ferry, it’s the most dreary hole I’ve ever been in.

[quote=“BenShermin”]Won’t guarantee you a seat, but very few people use the train to be honest. Return is 80.

Train at 11am will have you in Rosslare for 6pm, train at 10.30pm will have you in Rosslare for 6am the next morning. Check the times with Stena staff in Rosslare to be sure. By the way I’ve spent a few late nights in Fishguard Harbour waiting on the ferry, it’s the most dreary hole I’ve ever been in.[/quote]

Think I was there once before myself getting that ferry after a day in Oakwood. Its the weekend of the rugby match in Cardiff so there’s a good chance some people would use the train. I’ll give Rosslare a shout and see what they say. Cheers Ben!

[quote=“BenShermin”]Won’t guarantee you a seat, but very few people use the train to be honest. Return is 80.

Train at 11am will have you in Rosslare for 6pm, train at 10.30pm will have you in Rosslare for 6am the next morning. Check the times with Stena staff in Rosslare to be sure. By the way I’ve spent a few late nights in Fishguard Harbour waiting on the ferry, it’s the most dreary hole I’ve ever been in.[/quote]

if you think fishguard is bad, try pembroke dock!!

Holyhead is like Las Vegas compared to it, or so I’m told. Had to spend 10 hours in Holyhead after the Heineken Final in '06 after the HSS broke down, it will probably go down as the most exciting night in Holyhead’s history.

Could be a busy one alright then, and I doubt Arriva Trains Wales would bother putting on extra carriages. They definately can’t reserve seats unfortunately.

It’s amazing how much more warm and comfortable the Irish ports are in comparison with the U.K. ones. Rosslare is luxury comparing to the two Pembrokeshire ports.