The Public Transport Thread

Solicitors in cork would often get a retired fella to bring documents to Dublin on the train for them…slip away up early on the pass, read the paper on the way up, some fella would meet em for docs in Heuston then, a cup of tae and home. 50 quid cash.

Cheaper and more reliable than a courier

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a knee jerk reaction, it does have to be funded. Interesting that it is the CIÉ companies though leading the charge - they are a black hole.

Fianna Fáil and the PDs removed all restrictions in 2006, a classic vote winning exercise with little forward thinking. I think it was a fair enough part of the social contract that when you retired and could travel at your leisure that you shouldn’t be getting free trains at peak hours.

Corral the elderly at the EP site.

They need to tighten the Fair Deal scheme up in reality and stop encouraging 50 somethings to hold onto their parents properties when they go into nursing homes so they can fulfill their dream of becoming landlords. Not only is it inequitable in how we are funding care, we have ensured that thousands of properties have remained unoccupied all over the country.

How would you change the scheme?

The pensioners aren’t the problem, take the passes off the gurriers that have free passes and that commit anti social behaviour on public transport

1 Like

It’s like the old saying you get wisdom right after you needed it, you only get a travel pass if you’ve no use for it

1 Like

Great thing about the free travel for pensioners is that it keeps them off the roads and causing crashes.

2 Likes

A couple of right smelly Kerry animals on the train to Limerick here now. I’d say they haven’t washed or changed clothes since Friday. Their speech is unintelligible. Like I said, animals

2027 :grinning:

1 Like

Just in time for the mobile phone to become obsolete

3 Likes

I’ll be availing of iarnrod eireann on Friday week cc, @artfoley

Book a seat online, then kick the poor disabled guy/girl out of the seat when you arrive.

Make sure there are no OAPs like @Fagan_ODowd availing of free travel in your pre booked seat

what time’s the train?

Title should be edited to " the fucking excuse for a public transport thread"

1 Like

Let’s just look at this closely for a second shall we?

BusConnects - every bit of tarmac with a line in the middle of it in Dublin is now a “community” and rallying against it.
“Metro” - seriously a railway under Dublin. :grinning:
DART expansion programme - DARTs to Kilcoole? Avoca? Unbelayvable.

Dunno mate, I’ll check