The Public Transport Thread

Can you park a cargo bike at the airport ?

Joke about it and all but that’s what will happen. People will start getting dropped at different points where cars can pull in like red car park entrance, crematory or McDonald’s and walk to terminal causing more congestion at different points

1 Like

Interesting. That’s 15 years ago… The current fastest train is about 5 mins quicker at most and they are all new fleet trains.

Brilliant service Cork to Dublin in fairness… Speed notwithstanding

I was on Limerick - Dublin lately, agreed, lovely service, apart from the change at Limk junction, but you could live with it. Major issue is it drops you in Heuston which then means you need to get on another form of transport to get to 99% of destinations. I know that would be the case with most train stations, but if it got you in a little further the main parts of the city would become more easily walkable.

1 Like

I agree for the most part. It’s terribly planned. The new terminal and new runway should have had public transport attached as conditionals. It’s something our planners consistently fail to do.

And the centralising through Dublin is really poor for the country too.

2 Likes

It’s actually mystifying how they haven’t ran a dart line over to it. It’s not that far from where the line is now.

Heuston is pure fucking useless to arrive at.

1 Like

You could run a train line from Portmarnock that would avoid any houses without even having to put in a bend.

1 Like

I presume the main issue with this is that line it would join is already overworked

Yeah. That’s a fundamental issue alright but they could develop a shuttle that would be imperfect for now but would help divert people away from the city centre who don’t need to go there but are compelled to because it’s the single transport hub for the country.

Unfortunately the short term investment decisions in recent years to increase capacity on the line were the easy answers of adding carriages and making platforms longer. Upgrading the lines to allow for increased frequency instead would have delivered the same capacity increase but also flexibility and a better service.

Our capital planning seems very poor and disjointed.

Its madness T2 was allowed to be built without public transport. There is a lot of carparking space around the airport and nearby off the M50 that can be removed.

Barcelona have just opened a new terminal and the metro runs underneath. Its the antithesis of public transport policy in Ireland, an afterthought and poorly planned

1 Like

I’ve said this on here before but we allowed so much development at Tara Street Station that benefits so much from that station but didn’t compel any of the developers to improve the station itself which has all sorts of fixable problems but no money to do it.

15 years after all the unfinished estates and we still haven’t learned how to ensure infrastructure is delivered before or at the same time as commercial housing.

5 Likes

Its in the interest of commercial housing developments to improve publuc transport in rhe area. The house prices along the luas and dart lines show this. DCC should have it as a requirement for planning to include investment given to the relevant authorities for these upgrades. They will be able to charge more for these houses. The lack of vision and long term urban plannimg was completely lacking. Urban areas should be public transport and active travel. Your comrade @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy has highlighted this many times. The only string in the green party bow i agree on

He’s saying here that the AirLink bus is gone/going as well. But I don’t know about that?

They scrapped it last year. Permanently I think.

There’s definitely one bus that goes there because i woke up on a bus outside the airport after a few too many post work pints in Whelans.

1 Like

Where did the Airlink go to? There used to be a bus that joined up with the Dart at HOWTH Junction but they dropped that too.

747 went to Point and up the Quays over to Connolly and back across to Temple bar and up to Heuston

757 went to Pearse street and up Merrion Square and Earlsfort Terrace and over to Camden Street cc @TreatyStones

1 Like

I had to get a taxi home and told the driver I had been there to see my girlfriend off as she was moving away with work. I don’t know why.

4 Likes

Looks like there is an AirCoach now, but it doesn’t link with Heuston.
Heuston is serviced by Dublin Express