The Public Transport Thread

Excellent

NSW government launches Sydney Metro review amid $21bn cost blowout | New South Wales politics | The Guardian.

you have verona & mick fighting for more road for you mate

Sure someone has to make up for Eamonns neglect

Everyone becomes a fiscal hawk and moans about public infrastructure until the days it’s built.

It’ll be the exact same with the Children’s Hospital here.

1 Like

I think those coming from Wexford should be dumped at Bray and forced to switch to the DART personally.

1 Like

We’ve also thousands of women well trained in doing stop/go on tunnel projects.

That’d work well for a town that is already full to the brim and ready to burst with traffic.

Its 21km from Bray to Connolly. The ‘fastest’ train takes 46 minutes to do that journey.

You can travel from Drogheda to Connolly in 35 mins, a distance of 41km.

Or you can go from Heuston to Portlaoise in 44 mins, a distance of over 80km.

Its absolutely criminal how the rail network to the South East has been neglected. A proper investment years ago could take trucks off the road and use rail to transport freight to Rosslare Port. But we’re left with something built in the 1800’s that has had no advancement since. Its a shambles and we’re just fortunate that a proper road infrastructure was built. I’d prefer to commute via train every day to Dublin but its just impossible to even consider.

Imagine you could hop on your train in the morning, get an hours work done, hop back on early in the evening and do the last bit of tidy up while travelling home?

My most productive time of any week is if I get the early train to Dublin.

2 Likes

The Southsiders are notorious for objecting to every infrastructure project. Eamonn appears to be focusing on proposals that have a prospect of success.

1 Like

I would love that to be honest. Except the train Wifi doesn’t work for 75% of the trip and its exactly double the amount of time to go by train as it is to drive. So I can get more work done by driving and losing that hour but working the other hour.

Bizzarely the Limerick to Dublin direct train is way better than the Dublin to Cork train. More comfortable, newer carriages and reliable wifi. Wifi can be very hit and miss on the Cork train.

Its roughly the same amount of time to get from Colbert to Heuston as it is Gorey to Connolly. One is 88km in distance, the other is 190km :person_shrugging:

There was some guy on the radio yesterday who tours Europe via bike, bus and rail and writes about his experiences. He singled out the Rosslare line as being particularly slow.

May have heard it wrong but thought a lad on radio said There’s over 40 sailings out of rosslare per week since Brexit amd before it was less than 10

Mostly because it is 18 stops through some of the oldest established neighbourhoods in Dublin.

It isn’t comparable to an intercity/town train. The ones you cite there are ones like Dublin- Limerick with Portlaoise along the way.

It’s fairly universal in Ireland really.

Some loads of bollix over trying to close some of the level crossings to allow for DART West too.

Drogheda is more than comparable given it goes through the North Dart line

Yep, the land bridge isn’t needed. Drivers can not drive on the boat meaning they can drive further on the continent. And its a quicker point to point experience too

1 Like

Not really though.

The most direct route to Bray is out by the N11 but the DART hugs the coast line pretty much the whole way out.

It would be interesting to see if a commuter boat could do any business from Bray.

One of the Wrights looked at the possibility of a commuter boat from Howth before the last crash and concluded that it was a good way to lose money.

1 Like