The Public Transport Thread

@Mac

2 Likes

62 new bus services. 58 TFi local link and 4 new bus eireann services. Its happening mate. I heard the ad on the radio in irish.

1 Like

Work colleague telling me here that the Ennis Road, one of the most populous areas in Limerick city isn’t served by regular city bus route. The only option is an hourly (but not every hour) bus service that goes to Shannon.

It does go every hour and every half hour during peak hours (in theory anyway). It’s the 343.

There’s also other buses that go as far as Shelbourne Road before turning off Ennis Road and others that go to Caherdavin.

Surely it should be on a regular city bus route with a bus every 15 minutes or whatever?

People in areas like the Ennis Toad wouldn’t travel on a bus. The neighbours would think they’d fallen on hard times or been put off the road.

5 Likes

There wouldn’t be actually that much population-wise on the south side of the Ennis Road, other than the NCR. The north side of it then is covered by a couple of bus routes.

Nonsense. Most of the Ennis Road is very walkable for most people, especially those of a working age. An 11:45 bus stopping off at JFK or the tennis club would have barely a sinner on it if there were also options at 12, 12:15, etc.

https://twitter.com/wandererphotos/status/1732167340928733655?t=VDe5j_74CGpxfLl8jlfTmQ&s=19

1 Like

That’s the holidays sorted. Train from Aaterford to Rosslare Strand.

2 Likes

I hope none of these new routes turn out like that disaster that goes from Limerick to Ballybrophy.

1 Like

Whats that mate

Limerick to Foynes railway progress

1 Like

Cheers

There’s a bus stop just outside the Greenhills Hotel and as long as I’ve been in Caherdavin I’ve never seen a bus stop at it. I’ve been told one stops there alright, perhaps once a day, but I’ve never seen it.

When I’m out for a walk I do be sick of directing Yankee tourists down to the Caherdavin bus stop at Whittie’s Mace. They thank me nervously but I rarely see them walking down. They mustn’t trust me or shocked that somebody might try help them avoid a long stand.

There must be a receptionist inside telling them that there’s a bus stop for the city 100 yards down the road, and they include the car park walk in that 100 yards.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/BrianLeddin/status/1733948915848790359?t=Z4lBAkKY76YYxO2Jvzozdg&s=19

7 Likes

What does he mean no wait. Is it a direct service ?

It’s a long road. The snobby part that you’re talking about wouldn’t need a bus as they can just canter over the bridge.

It’s not as salubrious as you let on further out the Ennis road and a bus service should go out as far as Ferndale (back of Greenhills), swing right at the roundabout at Tesco and come back in the old cratloe Rd, along caherdavin/Redgate/woodview. Load of dense housing estates/student accommodation in there and lots more planned