The Public Transport Thread

Dart W & Dart SW beginning early 2025 - huzzah

a certain @Spidey must be feeling a little sheepish after reading that

1 Like

Fairly normal once you get outside central areas to just leave fare gates open as well. You’d need someone manning every station at all hours of operation otherwise so I suspect they just don’t bother fixing them.

Same happens here with the DART. The main stations at Tara, Pearse and Connolly have fare gates whilst outer stations often just leave them open.

They’ve recently installed new barriers in New York which don’t appear to work.

I know the enginerds don’t like them generally as they are inefficient for their train set models but I’m not sure I agree. When you compare the Luas to the DART, you see problems in the city centre on one and not the other. Unless you have full time police at the stations who will actually do something, they can become beacons for anti social behaviour if ridership isn’t good enough. Metrolink won’t have fare barriers.

1 Like

He’s holding out hope that Leo will do a captains veto and save the Ashbourne stables yet.

1 Like

I’ll look forward to reading about the progress in the local election candidates manifesto in 2040

1 Like

Ashtown

So sorry about your loss

I’ve read this week that Wicklow County Council will be opening 3 Park & Ride facilities in Fassaroe, Kilpedder and Ashford / Rathnew in the next year. Will be interesting to see where they transport people to in Dublin from those points but it could be a huge development to take cars off the road coming from the South East.

Malcolm Byrne has been making more noise about them upgrading the rail line but seems oblivious to the fact there’s no room to add a second track south of Bray unless they bore massive holes in the cliffs and then run it along the beach between Greystones and Kilcoole.

1 Like

Scrap it, it will ruin wedding photographs

2 Likes

An unfortunate part of our planning system which many cheerlead. Everyone has to get their day to tell the world about their ridiculous complaints. I believe in the likes of France that this would he fucked off the table.

Reality is that is what the Joe Duffy Irish culture wants too. If they didn’t get their airing, the media would give these small time matters an airing (as that Indo piece is). We only need to see what happened with fast track planning how people lost their shit when we tried to do national strategy planning.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/daveirl/status/1764970656117002410?s=20

But they didn’t propose taking away part of the Coliseum to be kept in storage and then reinstated once the rail line and station had been completed.

sigh

1 Like

Is that not part of this latest plan? Maybe I’m thinking of the DART underground one where they proposed removing trees and the Fusiliers Arch etc for the duration of the work.

im sighing as you are comparing some railings & statues made recently with the Colosseum

1 Like

No I wasn’t. My point was they were able to do the work in Rome without impacting the Coliseum at all.

We had a hotel before An Bord Pleanála last week arguing that they may have to close for up to 2 weeks due to a risk of low to moderate noise disruption for 2 weeks during construction of the metro.

We will never get anything done in this country while those sort of arguments are given significant air time.

4 Likes

the wedding photos was the worst one

1 Like

It’s just so ludicrous.

It’s like all those objecting to the expansion of Dublin airport

2 Likes

Sigh