The Race for a Vaccine. The Road to Demaskus

The Japanese have solved covid by basically ignoring it.

They are not a sterile vaccine. You can still get covid but your symptoms should be very mild at best.

It’s not clear at all. Nursing home are a large cluster area but that is still only 50k-70k of days 500k. What will offset that to a degree is that older people outside of those risky clusters have been more wary and likely to be cocooning since last March.

The number of asymptomatics amongst the youth is enormous. Figures bandied about is 50% (as in meat plants) to 80% elsewhere.

Yeah.

Regardless of it there should be fairly significant easing of restrictions by mid April anyway and by that point if the whole thing has more or less fucked off in Israel then it’s a good indicator.

4 Likes

Incorrect, there are still people calling for it. Mick O’Leary was on about it today and you’ll have the usual gobdaws saying he should be running the country.

Open the pubs for the over 70s once they’re vaccinated

The lads screaming for lockdowns were largely the same people screaming vaccines would take years.

The calm minded amongst us know this is over now. It’s too early to say how history will judge the reaction to Covid and the lasting effects that it may have.

4 Likes

Let it rip is sensationalist stuff.

I think many people would opt for a more reasonable restrictions and focus on protecting people in hospitals and care home facilities.

:smile:

Not sure it’s too early to judge the reaction. UK did a swift enough u-turn after initially opting for the let it rip approach. The economic impact may take a while longer to realise but the economy will recover in time. The powers that be decided protecting life was more important than protecting the economy. Some may not agree but just as well they’re not the ones calling the shots.

No he didn’t you’ve made that up.

“Focused protection of the elderly and vulnerable” is typical simplistic gibberish from the likes of Sunetra Gupta without providing any realistic ways of doing it. The question has been asked many times as to who has successfully implemented these “reasonable restrictions” that have both allowed freedom for those not at risk and provided protection for the vulnerable.

1 Like

How well have we protected the hospitals and the vulnerable in nursing homes through repeated lockdowns?

As I said to you before, I agree that some of their tactics are simple, but they are not all simplistic. Things like moving carers and staff into nursing homes who had Covid previously was not a bad idea.

Michael O’Leary is a CEO of an airline. His priority is his shareholders and I fully understand his position. Public health is not his concern and his utterances reflect this.

:sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

1 in 3 hospitalised Covid cases were picked up in hospitals currently. Over 50% of Covid deaths were residential care home patients.

Ignore the facts if you like, Mike.

1 Like

They’ve struggled to control it with lockdowns in place. I imagine the experts believe it’d have been a hell of a lot worse if there were no lockdowns.

I don’t understand why you feel the need to laugh at this.

As a tactic, it was worth a shot. You would only do it with continued use of rapid tests etc. Couldn’t have hurt.

Just because you don’t agree with a strategy, doesn’t mean some tactics might not be useful. I don’t think the Great Barrington idea of focused protection is realistic, but that’s a worthwhile tactic to try and mitigate some risk to care homes - whether you are pro lockdown or not. Similarly on Zero Covid, I agree with them on actually doing enhanced contact tracing.

He’s a NPHET/gov shill. He will defend whatever policy they adopt.