The Regulator (state employee) v Sean Quinn (bankrupt businessman) + Anglo Irish (state bankrupt ban

I always knew you had it out for me, Braz, but I must warn you that if you put me in a corner, I will come out barking. I shall need an Oxbridge scholar to confirm your eccentric assertion regarding that and who, Braz. It should also be pointed out that I mixed up their and they’re (I never mixed up there and they’re) in the typographyical sense only, a typo if you will. There is no suggestion that I mistook the difference between the two, I merely phonetically spelt out the word in my head and it was transferred to my typing.

The nature of your initial error is irrelevant to me, and is an argument you should take up with FoF if you must.

I was originally motivated to look into this a few years ago by the seemingly arbitrary tyranny of the squiggly green line in Micorsoft Word. Anyway, according to Wiki, it seems both might be acceptable:[list=1]
[]who, which and that are the basic relative pronouns, and can (to a certain extent) be used in the same positions.
[
]who can be used only with an antecedent referring to a person; which, referring to a thing; that, referring to either person or thing. (“The man who …”; “The thing which …”; “The man/thing that …”.)
[*]that can be used only in restrictive relative clauses, while who and which can be used in both restrictive and non-restrictive clauses. (“The man that/who …”; “The thing that/which …”; “My friend, who …”; “My car, which …”.)
[/list]

Court in Belfast annuls Seán Quinn’s bankruptcy
A judge ruled today that former billionaire Seán Quinn was not entitled to file for bankruptcy in Northern Ireland.

This follows a legal challenge by the Irish Bank Resolution Corporation (IBRC), formerly Anglo Irish Bank, which claimed he should be declared bankrupt in the Republic, where it is seeking to recover billions in debt from Mr Quinn.

Mr Justice Donal Deeny, sitting in the High Court in Belfast, ruled in favour of the bank.

Mr Quinn (65) made an unexpected and successful application for bankruptcy status in Northern Ireland in November.

It was challenged by the now State-owned bank on grounds that Mr Quinn’s main centre of interests is in the Republic. Judgment was reserved in the case and, in the period after its challenge, the bank served a summons on Mr Quinn as an initial step in having him declared a bankrupt in the Republic.

Mr Justice Deeny was told the bank would begin proceedings in the Republic but not take the crucial step of seeking an order of bankruptcy in the Republic until the annulment application before him had been determined.

Mr Quinn had sought to avoid having the summons served on him but his appeal to the Belfast court was unsuccessful.

Bankruptcy in Northern Ireland allows a person emerge from debts within a year, while the process in the Republic takes 12 years.

Mr Quinn told the court in Belfast in November he had assets of less than £50,000. The bank says he owes it well over €2 billion.

It has seized control of the Quinn Group and of properties here and abroad owned by Mr Quinn and his family.

A major legal challenge in which the Quinn family is disputing its debts to the bank, on grounds that they are tainted with illegality, is to be heard later this year in Dublin.

Your some pare of morans

Farmers idol Sean Quinn as offically been declared bankrupt in Ireland.

any of ye been following the quinn trial? gene kerrigan had a good article on it today but cant find much else online about it. A touch of opening the floodgates I hope about it anyway. Some brazen fraud perpetrated by private sector doyens has gone unpunished for too long. As soon as that hidden camera thing came out, they were fucked.

it happens a lot of business people when things go south (like their bankruptcy), that they refuse to accept the inevitable and try all manner of tricks to keep assets out of the hands of their creditors. The Quinns are like that, just cant accept that they were the authors of their own fall from grace. Despite having a non existent defence strategy, Anglo seemingly having a mole in their ‘business partners’ in Eastern Europe and overwhelming evidence to the contrary, they wont buckle. I reckon there is no chance of them holding their hands up and plea bargaining. Pride truly does come before the fall.

I expect there will be many of the Quinn family in Mountjoy pretty soon.

I wont rest easy till Drumm, Fitzpatrick, Fingelton and Co are in the cell next store.

:lol:

I may be imagining this but didn’t Colm O’Rourke sign off his Sindo column around 18 months ago with a message of support to Seán Quinn?

Ye he said “dont let the bastards grind ye down sean” :lol:

The banks were (and presumably still are) after him for a million euro he wasn’t in the mood to pay back. “Don’t let the bastards grind you down” :lol:

What fucking children those lads are. Playing business tycoons for the last decade and now that they’ve lost they’re outraged that they have to pay for it.

Thanks. Was able to find the article there:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/colm-orourke/colm-orourke-gaa-positional-switch-catches-managers-with-eye-off-the-ball-2124687.html

“[font=Verdana][size=3]And finally, a message for a great GAA man, Seán Quinn: don’t let the bastards grind you down.”[/size][/font]

The ‘bastards’ are the taxpayers presumably.

Talks now
today that Anglo are ready to move against his wife over an outstanding €3m loan she has with them.

Another aspect to this is that the Quinns legal bill in all this is effectively being paid for by the state due to the fact his solicitors are to be paid out of the assets that will eventually be going to pay back his debt.

The judge on Friday must have been unaware of Sean Quinn’s GAA credentials.

Wasn’t Peter Quinn the main driver behind the Croke Park redevelopment? I think he was anyway.

He must be very worried about his sons whereabouts.

On the one item I will give the Quinns and others a bit of a pass, they didn’t take the loans out with the taxpayer. Lenny’s legacy was to nationalise these types of debts but maybe a little unfair to castigate them for hiding taxpayers money. If for some reason it was ACC bank taking this action public sentiment might not be so strong against the Quinns.

The mother should have also done jail time for her ridiculous I sign what’s put in front of me defence. She may still do and surely Anglo will
go after the hotels next which are in the daughters names afaik.

Oh dear

:lol:

Was Peety at the Ulster football final yesterday? Little chickenshit.

“i am very much a novice when it comes to technology”. And to risk management too.

Think again