The rise of lab grown meat

Good man.

1 Like

Who are these “experts” ?

Dr carsten gerhardt etc

2 Likes

Spot on. To be avoided at all costs.

The organic farmed salmon is pretty okay. But I rarely bother with it.

Problem is: there are hardly any votes in saying protein should be dearer.

1 Like

This is the shite that will be fed to those on universal income benefit to keep them calm, fat and stupid. Those who’ll be running the show will require prime grass fed beef.

Impossible burger ingredients…

Methylcellulose is a known laxative ffs :sweat_smile:

As for soy as a source of protein… it contains goitrogens which is known to depress thyroid function. It also contains phytoestrogens :kissing_heart:

Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12.

6 Likes

It isn’t. Farmed fish is dreadful stuff. The organic label isn’t worth anything. I know from first hand experience. Ive never allowed farmed fish of any type into the house, and will only eat white sea fish when out. The kids have never had farmed fish as far as I’ve been able to stop it.

2 Likes

do people actually still eat meat?

1 Like

I avoid soy at all costs…

1 Like

Do you think the fish used in their fish fingers was caught around Rockall?

Give me lab grown meat produced in the European Union any day, it would be subject to rigorous Q/A. It is frightening to think what kind of shite is being pumped into cattle these days, antibiotics, steroids and all sorts, especially by cowboy Irish farmers

1 Like

Is this the new brexit strategy ?

Legislation is being drafted to convert our slatted sheds into labs mate. I’ll ensure you get nothing but the finest.

3 Likes

bates grass that has been pumped full of 10/10/20

1 Like

There’s nothing wrong with organic farmed salmon, can’t beat it with a herb crust

2 Likes

Herb crust containing plants that have been pissed on by poisoned cows

Ireland should be growing beef. Perfect environment for it.

The problem – putting it mildly – is cutting down (rain) forests so as to grow soya as feed for bullocks where bullocks should never be reared. Equally, the intensive farming of beef in Australia and the USA defeats the point of flavour – quite aside from the environmental damage.

2 Likes

To be honest, I strongly agree. Was just trying to appear reasonable as regards PCB issue and so forth. Have not bought organic farmed salmon in over ten years. Same for farmed prawns, which I abhor for the way their production ruins pristine environments.

Still, there remains the issue of manners. If I am invited into someone’s house, I eat what is put front of me. Manners is a spiritual issue as well. But you do have control over what you buy.

Farmed sea bass and sea bream is insidious. Would say most people do not realize, when they see these items on a menu, its farmed status. Was recently in a lauded restaurant, €50 for three courses. Aside from the food being distinctly average, two of the five main course options were (farmed) sea bream and (intensively reared) chicken. So the fast food end/cheaper end of the market is far from the only problem.

Cheap(ish) protein is probably the most difficult political issue of all. Saying ‘food needs to be more expensive’ is a difficult sell – but there it is, the truth. Jacob Rees-Mogg knows exactly what he is at when he links Brexit to '‘cheaper food’. He might as well say: ‘Brexit! Will help pump your grandchildren full of antibiotics even more cheaply!’ But has anyone called him out on this guff? People are afraid of taking on the ‘cheaper food’ crux because they can seem, bizarrely, snobbish.

4 Likes

every butcher I see in Ireland is doing deals like 10 chicken fillets for a tenner, you might as well kill yourself as ate that

5 Likes

Someone mentioned soya was bad earlier? I’ve been trying to substitute meat for soya sometimes. I didn’t think it was that bad though…

I presume you’ve noticed your tits have been getting a little bigger? You’ve been a touch more emotional? You bleed once a month?

1 Like