The Road To Cheltenham 2023

Only started watching Upping The Ante this morning from the start. Iā€™d only have watched fragments up until now. Gavin Lynch is a complete spoof and for all he is good at hosting preview nights, Jennings couldnā€™t tip the winner in a walkover. However Johnny Dineen is brilliant. Great bit of business done by Racing Post.

2 Likes

Harsh. Lynch and Jennings are very good imho.

Might have had good chemistry but stone useless the two of them. Werenā€™t they on a big losing streak as well? Lynch seemed to care more about playing it safe rather than speaking his mind. You can tell after 5 minutes Dineen couldnā€™t give a fraction of a fuck what others think because he knows himself he knows better. Lynch packing it in to go professionally tipping a sure sign of a fella on the decline as well.

2 Likes

Its far from easy tipping horses. I like Dineen but he has hardly tipped a winner. I think all three are good judges and I would respect their opinion, if not always agreeing with it.

On one of the earlier episodes he mentioned dont mind value if you dont think itā€™ll win and heā€™s spot in in my opinion. He already has a 10/1 Energumene/Facile Vega double whereas Lynch and Jennings spend their time convincing themselves and much as the audience of 20/1 no hopers. Now what genius does it take to back Facile Vega and Energumene, very little but the point remains. Thereā€™s been piss poor value if any in the last few years of antepost as bookies have killed it by slashing everything so even youā€™re getting bad odds on your longshots too.

1 Like

People who tell you thereā€™s no value in ante post betting are wrong Imo. Plenty of ways to skin a cat. Envoi Allen and dufresne could have changed my life the Last two festivals. Attack with multies. Willie and Gordon will take out over half the races between them. Sort their horses and youā€™ll go a long way to making profit.

Likes of grangeclare west, appreciate it, James du berlais all have odds on potential and there 5/1 plus at the moment.

Hollow games is 20/1 for the handicap plate. He was 7/2 for the Martin pipe. Thatā€™s a mad price to be putting up.

Everyone needs a little luck betting ante post betting but It you attack with multies it can leave you in a serious position festivals week with a small enough bank.

1 Like

Even listen to mick o Leary saying he wonā€™t be racing until Cheltenham. Gordon and the likes will defo line one up for him. He has a fairly ridiculous strike rate in handicaps for all his moaning about handicap marks.

Andy Dufresne is big odds again this year

Looks a huge price to me as I felt the ground wasnā€™t ideal on the day and maybe mark Walsh got it a little wrong. Gordonā€™s horses didnā€™t quite fire that week either. Lots of horses ran well in the grand annual and have ran well in it again. Rock the world an example. Jp has a habit of horses returning to the same handicap as well. Sir du berlais, Jospehs Galway plate winner ran in two pipes and thereā€™s a couple of other examples too I canā€™t think off.

The minute they are NRNB on handicaps Andy will be going in lots of e/w yankees as theyā€™ll be four places If not five.

2 Likes

Novice hurdling division should be a lot clearer after the weekend with the Tolworth and the Lawlors of Naas should they all take up their assignments. Although some might defer to the Moscow flyer at Punchestown.

1 Like

I think the English have their best hand in the novices for a long time. Looks like an average crop of bumper horses as well in Ireland.

1 Like

Paul Nicholls really seem back to his best. Stable on fire. Will he put it up to the Irish,

Hermes Allen looks a fine horse. This weekend coming will tell us a lot.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Timeform donā€™t seem to rate him at all. He beat a lot of unexposed horses in the Challow. Good that English trainers are realising they need to have them battle hardened because as recent Cheltenhams show, they cant do iton the gallops at home.

1 Like

1 Like

Any ideas on what races Gaelic Warrior and Kilcruit might run in ? I heard that Princess Zoe schooled well over hurdles last week.

I would give both little chance, regardless of what race they run in.

Gaelic Warrior looks better righhanded, could see him kept for Punchestown and Aintreeā€¦I think, push comes to shove, Princess Zoe will stay on the flat. If schooling was good, weā€™d have seen her

Aintree is left handed

1 Like