The Road To Cheltenham 2023

Sorry just Punchestown and Fairyhouse I meant

1 Like

Zoe won’t be a factor in these discussions surely

1 Like

In my opinion she should be retired to stud but the owners like the limelight and I think we will see her in the mares novice at Cheltenham. As I said, I am led to believe she schooled well over hurdles last week and will probably have one run (maiden hurdle) and all going well, will then head to Cheltenham. Currently 20/1 ante post. Kilcruit missed some work before Christmas and will come on a ton from that Limerick run and I think he has a big chance at Cheltenham. Entered in a few races, I think he will go for the Turners. Currently available at 33?1.

2 Likes

If you have word she is going, thats a great price

I think she will be going, depending off course on how she does in her maiden hurdle. Question then would be, Albert Bartlett or Mares novice.

Is there a possibility that Willie might aim Gaelic Warrior and Hunters Yarn at a couple of handicaps in Cheltenham. They seem to me to be the only novices that he could aim for handicaps ( county and Martin pipe ). He has done it in the past with Gallopin and State Man.

I’d be surprised if GW doesn’t run in a handicap at Cheltenham. I think him not running in the Lawlors strengthens that view.

Very well handicapped off 134. Should be no more than 140 across the water.

Of course they may opt to exploit the mark in a big pot handicap at the Dublin Racing Festival before going to run in a graded race at the festival.

I’d sway towards the Cheltenham handicap though

1 Like

As you are well up to date on Gordons, what do you think of Maxxum. I presume he will enter him in the Pertemps qualifier at Warwick (entries tomorrow) to get a mark there. If it is too high could you see him diverting to the stayers. That race does not look that strong and at 25/1 he might be a bit of value.

I have a suspicion that the UK handicapper will hammer him. If so, i could see them rolling the dice alright.

I think he will be given a mark in the 150s over there

I think you night be right and it would be a big ask for Maxxum to win off a mark in the 150s, Sire Du Berlais being an exception in 2020. If Eric Bloodaxe was to get a mark in the mid 140s it would fit the criteria of the majority of the past ten winners or so. He got a tender enough ride last time out. 16/1 looks a fair price. Would Maxxum be good enough for the stayers?

Had reason to look up bumper winners early. I’d worry for the future of Facile Vega based on this list.

5 Likes

Cue Card the best of that modest list. I think Facile Vega could be turned over in Dunguib like fashion. The bumper form last year hasnt held up and hard to read anything into the last race which was tactically run with Il Etaits Temps and Ashroe Diamond in behind. I think Marine Nationale looks very smart. He shaped in the Royal Bond like he could do further but if he shows up in the Supreme he would take a lot of beating. At 5-1 I’d happily have him in a couple of multiples. There may be 1 or 2 others who step forward as well.

1 Like

Ferny Hollow won all three starts afterwards interrupted by injury. Sir Gerhard went on to win the ballymore. Facile Vega has won all three starts since including a Grade One on only his second run over hurdles. They are the last three winners of the bumper, nothing wrong with that. Willie says he is very good, that will do me.

The biggest negative about Facile is that his mother was much better over 2m 5f plus. Look at that list of bumper winners, they all turn out to be stayers.

3 Likes

Is Connell going to run him at DRF? I’d love to see him wrap him up and be the forgotten horse as Nicky and Willie run a few. He looks tailor made for arriving late on the premises.

1 Like

Straight to festival.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t be shocked to see facile go to Ballymore either

1 Like

Bar Gordon And Willie nobody runs good horses in the bumper anymore. Its very possible facile is seriously overrated.

Look at the longevity of Willies bumper winners. That would be my biggest worry for Facile Vega