The Road to Pasadena (and various other places) Concluding in January 2014

Missed the end of it but was a deadly game.

USC have finally fired the hapless Lane Kiffen after the Trojans were mauled 62-41 by unranked Arizona State. He was relieved of his duties with a phone call at 5am:D. He lost 7 of his last 12 games in charge. USC are really struggling after the sanctions imposed over the Reggie Bush lark and are finding it difficult to recruit with Oregon and Stanford now being viewed as more attractive locations by blue chip prospects. Jack Del Rio is among the early front runners to get the[SIZE=3] HC gig.[/SIZE]

I as part of my business trip i spent the weekend in Heuston, Tx ( that is an absolute shithole it must be noted), however as the wife was with me ( we both flew business class BTW), the weekend was taken up with visiting her friends who for some reason reside in this gosforesaken, poverty stricken dump, that reminded me of Johannesburg.
anyway, on saturday night i and a colleague ( male) attended the NCAA college football clash of Rice University and the Florida Athletic University.
Rice is a wonderfully elistist school, 3,500 students from the finest echelons of society, however their football team is not to match, the university looks totally out of place in the middle of Heuston however
the procedings commenced at 6pm ( eastern) with a light breeze and temps in the mid 80’s, admission was 20 uSD and we took our place on the 50 yard line in the sparsely popultaed stadium that had an attendance of 10k reported.
The game was error strewn, Rice won out 18-14 but this is 2 colleges that will not be featuring at the business end of the season, i thoroughly enjoyed the game even it it was poor, there was a steady supply of beer, decent enough stadium grub and some hot , posh college chicks, screaming " lets go owls, woot, woot" on each FD.
From what i could gather tho, the game is only part of the spectacle, the amount of needless breaks really destroys any semblance of continuity, the crowd were particually interested in one ridiculous cameo where players from Rice play a game of pre recorded charades during a TO and try to guess the song,
Veteran’s corner midway thru the 3rd quarter was a memorable moment, a local Texan and lifelong Rice supporter and his wife were paraded in front of the crowd, he rightly received a standing ovation from all in attendance, that’s one thing i admire about the states, i dont agree with most of their foreign policy but at least from what i can see there is a great deal of national pride in the locals, they respect their flag, anthem, traditions and those who serve their country, the west brits and little englanders amoungst us could learn a thing or two from this.
all in all, i enjoyed the evening,…

Today’s action

Saturday 5th October
2.00pm –College GameDay LIVE
5.00pm – Maryland @ Florida State LIVE
8.30pm – Georgia @ Tennessee LIVE
1.00am – Ohio State @ Northwestern LIVE
4.30am - Washington @ Stanford LIVE Joined in progress

Will be interesting to see what the 4-0 Terps are made of, daunting trip for them into Tallahassee. The next game will be a blow out.And although I’d like to think to think #16 Northwestern can give #4 Ohio State a good game I think the Buckeyes will have too much for them.

The late game should be a cracker. #5 Stanford will be itching to get revenge for the shock defeat #15 Washington handed them last year. But the Huskies are far better this year and it promises to be a cracking game that should go a long way to deciding who gets a Rose Bowl berth.

Not a very close opener and best one won’t be much better.

Switched it off at HT to watch the Michigan State @ Iowa game. Just checked the score there and it’s 63-0:eek:

A veritable feast of college football for BT subscribers this weekend with live games being broadcast simultaneously on ESPN and BT sports 2

ESPN

Thursday 11th October
01.00 Rutgers @ Louisville

Friday 12th October
01.00 Temple @ Cincinnati

Saturday 13th October
14.00 College Gameday
17.00 Missouri @ Georgia
20.30 Florida @ LSU
01.30 Texas A&M @ Ole Miss

BT Sport 2

Saturday 13th October
17.00 Oklahoma v Texas
20.30 Boston College @ Clemson
00.00 Alabama @ Kentucky

What a line up! It doesn’t get much better than that.

Ah that’s brilliant. Looking forward to seeing Boyd and Watkins for Clemson again.

Watching this for the first time. Good game between Missouri and Georgia at the moment. Missouri pulling away now when they looked dodgy early on. James Franklin went off injured at start of Q4 but the ‘freshman’ they’ve brought on despite looking pretty useless has managed not to mess things up.

Clemson trailing 7-3 at half time.

Baylor 21-10 up. Haven’t had much of the ball but went 180 odd yards on 4 plays for 2 TD’s. The Kansas QB Sams has run something like 120 odd yards in just the first half, with a rushing TD. Great game.

50 yard Clemson TD wiped out for an illegal formation.

Boyd went straight back and threw it to Watkins for a similarly impressive TD. And Boston College just responded with a 70 yarder!

Kansas State well on top at start of Q3, Sams just in for another TD. They’ve shat themselves on the 2 point conversion though and just trail by 2 now - 21-19

Another TD for Sams, his 3rd for the night. I think he’s only thrown 7 or 8 times but must have over 200 rushing yards by now. Baylors trail 25-21.

Boyd rushes in from 7 to give the lead back to Clemson.

Baylor back up with another soft TD at the start of 4th Q. They’ll probably spend the next 15 mins defending as Sams goes on run after run.

Some finish to Michigan @ Penn State here.

A huge upset overnight as the Dublin bound UCF and the wonderful Blake Bortles came from 28-7 down in the 3rd quarter to beat #8 Louisville 38-35. This really is a shocker as the Cardinals had a cupcake schedule and would have ran the table if they had held on. They can forget about any BCS involvement now.

It might also have dire Heisman consequences for Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater, hard to see him getting the votes now. He’ll still almost certainly go #1 overall in the NFL draft though.

After last week’s TV feast (which I missed as I was at a christening :mad: )we have returned to just two live games today. Unfortunately the big clash between #5 Florida State @ #3 Clemson is not being shown as it clashes with the baseball play offs, UFC and fucking NASCAR:rolleyes:

Saturday 19th October
14.00 College Gameday
17.00 Georgia @ Vanderbilt
20.30 Auburn @ Texas A&M

Second game might be decent enough but that’s a bit of a drop off alright.

How did Teddy do last night?