The Rugby Thread (Part 1)

He kicked it out to secure a losing bonus point. Fellas have been lauded for the same. Unfortunately he didnt mean to do it… he was trying to ‘get every last inch out of it…’

7 Likes

If anything he was too brave

In all fairness it’s not like there were many guys pushing hard for those guys’ places. POM has been great recently but that red that a shocker. Larmour will presumably come in for earls now but you couldn’t argue with that selection either really. Sexton wasn’t great, there is absolutely no one that you could point to as better, i don’t get why Carty isn’t in there. We probably have to wait another year or even two for a 10 to emerge from the younger players coming through. Murray was grand, don’t see what he did wrong really. Thought stander was one of the better players in the team, don’t see who you’d pick ahead of him really.

Based on the players that were available not many would have picked a very different team. There has already been a lot of change in the team recently, they’re just not very good yet. But there’s a good few decent prospects coming through, and ther should be a decent team there when they emerge.

1 Like

It was quite amusing. Wales had to hold on to the pill for 8 seconds to win the game when their scrum half for some reason decided to kick the pill to an Irish chap. Ireland moved up the field for 3 minutes and looked like they had the winning of the game when they got a penalty and Billy kicked out on the full.

3 Likes

So he had the entire stand to aim for and still missed it?

1 Like

Was it not that he kicked it over the endline rather than the sideline?

1 Like

Yes. And yes he is a full time professional rugby ball kicker whose job it is to take the kicks.

3 Likes

I’d imagine Billy’s career as an Ireland international is now done.

1 Like

He had a 20 metre window to aim for and kicked it 10 metres past it, from 15 metres away

4 Likes

3 Likes

Hopefully they don’t decide to “back him”. I don’t think he should have been there in the first place.

1 Like

Incredible that the IRFU still pick foreigners over their own. You’d say something if it was a successful policy but fucking hell.

I’m not saying it to have a go at rugby, but the basic skill levels of rugby players is gone way back. You just need to be a big massive fucker who can bash now.

2 Likes

Yer man Standers talent is to run straight in to opposition players. Lowe’s defining talent appears to be to create space for opposition players to score tries

7 Likes

That’s true. Matt Williams gave ages yesterday talking about “torpedo kicks” and how only Stuart high can do them. It used be just par for the course that O’Gara could put the ball to exactly where he wanted anywhere on the pitch.

It’s a fucking disgrace. There are lads out there whose dream it is (yeah yeah yeah) to play rugby for Ireland and they’re being denied this by these fucking cunts. It’s just wrong. Lose with your own ffs.

In fairness, the entire debacle made for a very entertaining afternoon’s watching.

8 Likes

It’s hard to see what sexton brings any more, bar the fact that there appears to be no one better than them. He doesn’t appear to be very good at kicks and he doesn’t do that loop around run that he used to do repeatedly for years and years.

When he kicked it over the line at the end I genuinely lol’d. I have no hatred for them and I’d be supporting them to an extent, but fuck me they are so overhyped and over rated.

1 Like

Ireland in the 6 nations are a bit like offaly in the gaa. They were shite for a century, played above their level for 20 years and will now retreat to battling for 3rd every year in a 5 horse race. They won’t regularly beat England and France ever again.