The Rugby Thread (Part 1)

He won three (3) 6 Nations titles including a Grand Slam but yes he did fail to deliver in consecutive World Cups which tarnished his record somewhat. The defeats to Argentina (2015) and Japan (2019) were poor.

Fair point. He hasn’t cut it in a six Nations yet and he’s on his third go of it, so he’s not going to cut it at all. Is that more like it?

1 Like

How is he on his third go of it?

They did two six Nations and another in-between competition that wasn’t called the six Nations but was essentially the same thing.

1 Like
3 Likes

In fairness, Gibson park I have absolutely no doubt played exactly the way he was told to, hoof it at every opportunity. He can’t be blamed for simply obeying orders.

The kicking was the right tactic for Ireland really when you saw how shite they were when they tried to pass it

Joe destroyed Irish rugby from the very start

He’s a 28 year old sub international level import.

It’s bugged me for a long time why we start these sub par imports ahead of Irish players who are at least as good if not better. I think the reason is experience. The sub par players have to qualify for Ireland and so are generally older and more experienced, or appear to be. Like JGP there, he’s 28. To a risk averse coach there it’s easier to start the “safer” option. And Ireland always go for those and then wail about no succession planning and the lack of experience of the talented young Irish players coming up.

1 Like

Cooney’s face doesn’t fit under the Farrell regime.

The Blazers will be concerned

Dermot must have gotten the memo from here. It’s called SOCCER

Well I agree with you entirely on the imports, all of them, including Aki. I find it hard these days to support the Irish rugby team. But in this game, Farrell (another import) clearly told him to hoof it high and long at every opportunity. They’re playing like an English side, which is as bad as you can say about any team.

Simple fact is they don’t have the players currently. The likes of ruddock, Beirne and herring aren’t at the level. Porter and Henderson aren’t consistent. Healy and stander probably past it.

Murray, Gibson park, burns and sexton are either not good enough or over the top.

Hugo Keenan has been surprisingly good. Ringrose is excellent as well.

Earls is very old now and Lowe is fairly average.

You are short about ten players. Farrell needs Munster to play Casey and Healy For the rest of the season. Also needs Harry Byrne to start for leinster.

I don’t think Farrell is much good but he’s a team of players either well past it or lads just not good enough but he’s only picking from 4 teams and sort of needs the provincial managers to start making the big calls.

1 Like

He caught a few idiots there

Like in 12 months time the Irish team could be Coombes, Leavy, Doris, Casey, Harry Byrne, larmour, henshaw, Ringrose, Keenan and shane Daly.

That would be a really exciting the
6-15 that could play ball and still be fairly physical. Kelleher is very exciting at 2 as well.

2 Likes

Import/project players is part of the game. It’s naive to maintain moral superiority when teams with much larger playing numbers like England and France are utilising the rules as they stand. I agree with the premise that they shouldn’t be selected if they aren’t a clear upgrade over alternatives eg JGP, Burns etc. With the financial hit to the game the central contracting budget will likely decline and they’ll have to make do with the academy players instead of targeting project players, with the exception of punts on youngsters like Knox and Salanoa.

They’ve moved to 5 years which is fair enough in my book.

I think he is playing the class war a bit here !!!

Also since Spock became manager the media have been very soft on the Irish soccer team

He’s supposedly in risk of never play again. Going to mainland for second.opinion after being told so here.