The Rugby Thread (Part 1)

That’s fair. Herring is stone useless.

Yup kelleher isn’t much better. We are struggling at hooker. I can’t think of any international standard hooker across the 4 provinces or in academics atm.

Kelleher is a much better option at hooker than Herring. There’s been thin pickings there for a while though and it’s part of the reason Best stayed on so long.

1 Like

I like Kelleher he’s very raw but he’s mobile.

Look at Ed Byrne coming on. He’s a sound fella and all but he isn’t conditioned like a pro athlete.

1 Like

In fairness,we’re talking the euros in 16 against Italy B since those lads showed anything.

Kelleher has big potential as another Sean Cronin but has the same limitations as him at set pieces.

A bit worried that Tierney Martin hasn’t featured for Connacht seniors. He was the next big hope at hooker.

1 Like

In the mid-90s Limerick GAA was on the cusp of success with some great hurlers lining out for the county. Ultimately we failed to land the big one, and much in-fighting, back-biting and political posturing brought the whole thing down.

One particularly shambolic episode is often referred to as ‘The 20 Questions’ where County Board officials called in firebrand manager Tom Ryan for ‘review’ of the season with his dismissal already penned. Tom had other ideas.

It’s taken us nearly 30 years but success has followed. The IRFU would be well advised to follow the lead of the much derided Limerick Top Table (who’s laughing now?) and ask the hard questions.

I’ll start it off.

1. Why in the fuck do we boot the ball back to the opposition as soon as we get it?

2. Why don’t we go wide?

3. Why do we keep trusting players who are not good enough and won’t improve?

4. Why don’t we offload?

2 Likes

We can’t chance obvious overloads like this one. Better off rooting it up into the sky

2 Likes

“Numbers out wide”

One thing about watching matches on the telly is the camera angles never show this in real time, just zoom in on the ruck. So much is missed

It seems like madness… But that’s obviously too simplistic, right? Is it just that we’re not good enough?

Up the jumper or up in the sky. I dunno.

If we don’t trust that we can’t manage three good passes off our natural hand for a start, it’s probably all the one…

I went a couple of years where I barely missed a Munster games with work and basic passing off either side was way down the list of what lads with pro contracts were competent in

“If there were points available in this championship for pride of performance and unrelenting commitment in the face of adversity, Ireland would be top of the table.”

Donal laments the “mitigating factors” and loss of “intellectual rugby knowledge” as key reasons in the losses. The hubris around Irish rugby is fascinating to see and may explain why they never went to the next level. Of course kicking the ball away everytime they had possession did not enter calculations.

10 Likes

Did someone seriously write this? That’s beyond a joke

Donal Lenihan - todays Irish examiner.

Jesus wept

5 Likes

Ireland hoof the ball up in the air = loss of “intellectual rugby knowledge” ?

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Lack of intellectual rugby knowledge = they’re shite?

2 Likes

Perhaps they would have hoofed the ball up in the air in better areas of the pitch or more opportune times. 47 times they kicked the ball away yesterday according to one of the fellas on OTB. I’m not sure you would get 47 kick passes from one team in a GAA match.