The Rugby Thread (Part 1)

Iv no issue with the scrum at all. I think they were trying to limit situations where you could have

5m Scrum
Scrum reset
Carry off back
20 pick and gos
90 sec video review
Held up
Scrum
Scrum reset

Etc

The pick and jam approach is brutal to watch, adds hugely to wear and tear on bbodies but is low risk. If you create a material downside to thay approach you’d hope teams would start quickly at looking at other ways of scoring off 5m scrums

2 Likes

The one scrum they shouldn’t get rid of is the 5m Scrum. Compelling viewing.

1 Like

Might do Munster some good to disincentivise bludgeoning over after 30 phases against weak Pro 14 opposition.

2 Likes

Drives me mad. Even you see great play from own half with a a lot of sides and they play offloading all action stuff. But get stopped short and revert to this.

Agreed. They aren’t removing it thankfully apart from one situation i.e. Held up over line

Fuck that, how else will they cover the handicap?

Be all Coombes tap and go from 5m next season anyway

Watched the sharks Knights match there. Saying more like league everyday isn’t such a bad thing in some facets

Big time

I’m watching that Ponga since he was at Nudgee. Kid is a fucking maestro. Refreshing to hear him interviewed too. Speaks like a.normal knock about bloke rather than the usual PR massaged 'its a game of 80mins, the boys really put it in" etc

1 Like

The Irish lassies might have been better off if the French had been made stay at home.

Heard that on the radio and couldn’t understand why. Sure neither the Champions Cup semi-final or final will be held in the RDS. Hardly worth opening the rainbow cup games to fans.

At least the nonsense over the top coverage the ladies rugby team get might cease.

1 Like

Why so?

If it gives 2,000 people an outlet for a few hours at the weekend it’s probably worth it.

2 Likes

Absolutely. Have to start somewhere

Ah just felt it would be more worthwhile to allow fans attend the more important Champions Cup games but I suppose if they are abroad then that’s not an option for Leinster fans at the minute. Is the Rainbow Cup like a league cup for the Pro 14? Once off tournament or a new addition?

You are looking at it all wrong, the hammering should instead place a spotlight on the IRFU. How in these enlightened times can they justify running 4 professional provinces and an international side for the men, but then send a bunch of amateur women out against the professionals of France and England?
If the IRFU put the wages of just 2 centrally contracted players from the men’s game into the women’s game they would be able run a professional operation, bit of a scandal that they don’t really.

3 Likes

One off this season… But the SA sides will be in pro 14 from start of next season

They are playing it for money, and to give the SA players a chance to get games ahead of Lions tour

More SA sides than already? It’s no wonder there was talk of them entering into the 6 nations so as well. I feel they’re better off in the rugby championship with NZ, Aus and Argentina though.