The Rugby Thread (Part 1)

His deal isn’t even until the 2023 World Cup though

Short sighted irfu as usual. Pro rugby is on its knees

I’d say he signed for one year so he could clane squeeze the balls off them next year when the RWC will be in play. Roll of the dice

In his current form they would need to pay him whatever he wanted to keep him available for rwc

They have that world cup over him as well though, he’ll want to play in it!

Bold strategy he could be Tadgh Furlough in a few months

1 Like

Have any of the contracts been longer? Sexton is one year as well and zebo.

O’Mahony robbed a 2 year deal

And an entire career getting the media and public to fawn over pure munsterneess

3 Likes

Is he that good, and why is tight head so important?

Apparently does “a lot of unseen work”

People fooled by number of carrys stats. Fail to look at yards gained with that. 1 meter per carry equals hard yards

1 Like

Tight head very difficult to play. If you think when the two front rows bind, it’s like interlocking the three middle fingers on either hand. You’ll see then that one finger on each hand is loose but the tight one is tight because he’s locked in between two competitors. He feels the force of the scrum more than anyone else.

Having the strength and technique to lock that out takes some going. Usually being good at scrummaging alone is enough; job is Oxo.

He is that good that not only does he have that down with the best of them, he’s also not that shagged from it, he can get about the park. And on top of that he can carry at pace and step. And further again this barrelly bastard can even play a decent timed pass (see Vs All Blacks for best example). And as if the fucker hasn’t done enough, he’s usually good for a turnover at the breakdown every game or two.

It’s very very rare to get that combination of abilities. He’s unparalleled in his position in the game and would start for any teamb and perhaps even among first named given importance of right head to a team’s scrum

7 Likes

Informative rating

How much is a Lions Tour worth to each player . The last one was around £35 k iirc .

He has explained it a lot better than I would. But agreed he is worth it

1 Like

That seems like very little.

1 Like

If you think a tour lasts a month that is 1/12 th of a years wage . I would wager there a few rugby players paid more that £400k per annum .

I thought that it would take up a few months of their time?

Maybe but I have a recollection the time Quinlan was banned and missed the Lions tour it cost him 40k or so

I dunno when their first camo starts but the thing goes on until the end of August I think, and they will presumably be all kept in bubbles and not allowed to come or go. Sounds shite. If it’s only 35k it sounds very little to me.

1 Like