The Rugby Thread (Part 1)

You’re correct. There’s a Fiona Hayes nee Steed, and a more recent Fiona Hayes it seems

1 Like

The Bull’s wife is actually a thoughtful, almost reserved pundit, quite good in fact. The latest Fiona is, shall we say, very “enthusiastic”. From the Tommy Walsh school of punditry

3 Likes

Yes this lady was of the oh my God that was amazing school of punditry.

1 Like

Standard Irish rugby punditry then. World class.

Who are these people?

Are there a host of IC players posting here?

You just can’t help making oddball comments

Ive had several discussions with people on this topic over the the years. Rugby is a good example of a small sport that went professional and destroyed the grassroots. Its not a big enough global sport to sustain itself and direct its going, despite what a lot of rubby people say. The people that believe gaa should have professionals believe this BS and thunk ireland is a big enough market to sustain a professional gaa. They fail to realise the effect it will have on the grassroots and clubs in the gaa, the best thibg about the organisation. As someone involved in grassroots rugby in this country im very jealous of how the clubs are so important to the gaa lr at least treated by croke park. Dont ruin it, welsh rugby is the example of what can go bad. Rugby in rural wales is what the gaa is in ireland imho.

1 Like

You’re obsessed with the media pal

As someone involved in both gaa and rugby I’d say many grassroots GAA supporters wouldn’t agree that the clubs are treated v well and that they can be an afterthought in some counties

1 Like

Welsh rugby looks in turmoil. Under 20 team miles off it which is most worrying for them.

If Cork get to All Ireland hurling final which i doubt but if it did happen clubs would see their county players 5 days before championship so would have no game played with a full team all year. Clubs are a complete afterthought.

So you’re telling me the clubs in Cork are an afterthought to Cork GAA? Not sure what this has to do with Croke Park?

Hurling is played in roughly 12 counties. Wtf are you on about?

That’s what makes them bombproof tbh. A real us vs them attitude.
Explains the ferocity of hate between some local clubs.

The Davy Fitz gene it could be called.

1 Like

I doubt Local Rugby gets any coverage on local radio or newspapers in any county in Ireland. Certainly not in Tipp anyway.

No one gives a fiddlers about Nenagh Ormonde or Cashel RFC. Kilfeakle won an All Ireland Junior Cup or something a few years back and shur no one gave a fuck.

Soccer has a far stronger grassroots and even people with only a passing interest would still know how St. Michael’s or a Peake Villa are doing in the FAI Junior Cup. St. Michael’s winning the FAI a few years back was a huge deal.

4 Likes

Calm down Stevie

Stevie O’Donnell gives it great razzmatazz alright on local radio.

I’m really hopeful Peake Villa win it this year.

1 Like

Okay, Stevie :+1:

I cant soeak for all CBs but there is a massive difference between the Limerick CB and Munster branch. I dunno if you heard about the farce of the munster senior cup finsl last week in thomand park. The latest in a long list

Go on…

Was it a farce because Munsters won it?

1 Like