The Rugby Thread (Part 1)

First of all only the stand was open not the terrences.

1. You had to queue for the ticket office to buy a ticket first only to hand the ticket to a person at the gate to tear up
  2. Queue was down around hassetts cross at quarter to 3
  3. Only 3 desks only open. Why not take cash at turnstiles as usual. This was not communicated to either club beforehand.
  4. A lot of people missed first 20 mins due to this. They could have got the cluns to sell the tickets in advance
  5. Card machines wernt working. Its bad when a man in his 80s is standing waitimg for someone to get him cash out
  6. There are lifts for disabilities to get up into the stand, these were not turned on. Plenty of elderly people struggled with the stairs. The biggest grievance i heard
  7. Presentations of the cup was a farce
  8. Shannon were not allowed to open their bar, so im told. They werent involved but surely wpuld have been busy before and after. Should be allow to make some bit of money.
  9. Bar inside was awful slow fillimg pints as called nothing ready.

@Esso_Oil as you said it was a farce the cookies won. I was very unwell on Saturday. Bad day to be a pint

1 Like

A selection of very minor issues. Hardly a farce.

The bar was slow Fagan :man_shrugging:t2:
Was it for this etc…

1 Like

In fairness it’s played in all counties but not to the standard of the top 12 teams. You can easily say the same of Gaelic Football.

1 Like

Bandwagon merchant going to a match for a few pints comes back with a list of gripes. You see it all the time in fairness.

1 Like

Plenty of grassroots rugby has done well since professionalism.

1st XV Club rugby screwed themselves.

Professionalism was inevitable, the trick for clubs was to stay amateur and not try to go pro or trying to buy glory.

1 Like

Same stuff regularly at most league matches nowadays, nowhere taking cash at turnstiles any more.

Am I?

You are

How do senior rugby clubs afford to pay player’s rent?

I wouldn’t have thought this was massively widespread anymore. Might be a few overseas lads getting their rent paid by a sponsor but this used to happen wholesale and it nearly broke some clubs

Big Mal was on nice coin with Malahide when he finished up with Leinster but that was a while back.

It pretty much put Shannon RFC in Queer St.

Lot of money in clontarf. Beyond that, it’s more setting fellas up with jobs than money being exchanged.

1 Like

Know a lad who plays for one of the Limerick clubs. Told me he’s rent is paid by club. Could be bluffing mind.

1 Like

House directly across the road from thomond park is a Shannon house. They put young fellas who aren’t local up in it alright. Am sure other clubs do similar.

1 Like

Yeah can see that would be a cheap enough option if you landing 4 lads into a gaff probably owned by a club member

It did put galwegians in queer street.

During the boom there were clubs in Dublin paying 30 school leavers 1k to 2k to join. This is relatively small but adds up and is basically pissing money up the wall and destroying the fabric of clubs and community.

There is an infamous case of a guy whose dad would have been a big cheese in a Dublin club negotiating with another Dublin club for a few quid to transfer as he had ran out of money on holidays.

2 Likes

Thornley wants the lager louts OUT OUT OUT of the Aviva

1 Like