The Rugby Thread (Part 2)

Edward Jenkins has the whole country on strings. :joy:
Lads pulling out facts & stats from all angles in the comments.

https://twitter.com/richard99366022/status/1845480422727102563?s=46

Numbers have always fallen away, but what we’re also seeing is more kids are coming along to GAA Nurserys, because it is starting at a much younger age. Coaches in nurserys are having to handle what they are technically referring to as the “stone fucking useless grass eating shitehawks” that weren’t coming along to GAA in the previous decades. There were the sort of fellas who would fall over lying down, they invariably got into activities like wrestling, golf or rugby. These fellas would do a bit of Cuman na mBunscol where everyone gets a chance to play for a day or two and toss it in, usually left to pick up the cones or lead the chants.

So numbers dropping off are to be encouraged in truth, but as long as you have the parents signed up to direct debit for things like lotto and annual draw, and they forget about it, then you are solidly laughing as a Club.

1 Like

A sport with low playing numbers and by admission on your tweet, wasn’t popular 10 years ago is now hugely watched :joy:

Hotdogs

get your hotdogs. Fresh organic hotdogs

Vast majority of rugby supporters only attend matches for the Instagram story - plain and simple

2 Likes

There’s so many attending rugby games the tv ratings have sky rocketed

I think the tweets posted above confirmed this .
Underage numbers have been dropping in rubby for a while . It’s been taken up.as a great social occasion by housewives and pointdexters but you wouldn’t get them at the AIL.
The provincial game killed rubby really.
Limerick in the 90s when a big AIL derby was on was unreal . You’d have 20k watching the parish v the cookies
 the city would be buzzing.
The majority of people coming into Munster games now are pretentious sorts from Tipp and Clare and Kerry and south side corkies.

6 Likes

Are these the games where everyone is complaining about having to stand up every two minutes to let people in and out to get beer?

The Ail attendances are on the up.

That’s as succinct an analysis as could be. Maith thĂș.

Someone described the local hurling club, which shall remain nameless, as the largest kindergarten in Galway to me yesterday.
Sure what harm. It’s better than Xbox.

2 Likes

I’d love to see it back to near it’s best

I’ve always said i have great respect for rubby club men. Some of the best folk you meet are the old stocks in Shannon and Munters and Richmond Thomond etc. (Fuck Garryowen)

The provinces kilt serious tradition.

5 Likes

Rugby has really turned a corner again.

7 or 8 years ago it looked like it was finished.

Moved more games back onto free to air.

Cheap tickets.

Strong promotion.

The big thing they have to sort is the nonsensical format of the European cup.

Shorten the season and it’ll fly again.

The gaa is going where rugby went 6 or 7 years. No promotion, elitism, games behind a paywall and horrendous formats.

1 Like

More lies.

Before my time but I was me member in Richmond for a long time

They can’t get people into Thomond park bar 2 games a year.
If the national team fall away you’ll lose the housewives.

If they can actually win a WC QF it might finish soccer and GAA altogether. But that won’t happen in our lifetime anyway.

And I must say rugby has gotten the rule changes spot on.

The offensive kick or whatever they call it is really good.

The hold up over the line is good too.

They are getting a lot right now imo.

I dont mind healthy debate, but we need to be truthful in this age of untruths.

I think Ireland will win the next World Cup tbh. The four provinces are producing players. Usually it’s a province and a half.

They will have a very very strong team in 3 years time.