The Rugby Thread (Part 2)

You mean the English system that had three Premiership clubs bankrupt in the space of a year along with the winners of the Championship.

Not a chance

A 26k capacity stadium with less than 10m of debt…hardly a white elephant now Timmy

If he repeats it often enough it will become true.

1 Like

Chris Whittaker van de linde and Nathan Hines too…

JGP and Lowe

A debt you couldn’t service and required a bailout for.

In the “fair” English system, that would have led to administration at the very least.

Pre 2010 with the exception of Hines who is a decent shout (but I wouldn’t say top top class). Although I haven’t named several other quality Munster imports either.

All in all, you’d be taking the piss to suggest Leinster since 2010 have had nearly the quality or outlay on imports, directly or indirectly. They did of course need some Munster imports for a period, but nobody new of significant value in the last decade.

It has been 85% homegrown with the balance from external signings and project players since the 2012 win.

Funnily enough, that has only delivered one European Cup so maybe Leinster have been missing that external quality?

Leinster basically sorted out the system in the late 2000s. Ulster also had it figured out but had a complete administrative breakdown starting with Brian McLoughlin. Munster were asleep at the wheel but have been trying to fix things at least.

Project players, all provinces have had them. You cannot compare uncapped players like a CJ Stander to a RG Synman.

Is the main difference the fact that Munster put all their eggs into the Thomond Park redevelopment, whereas at the same time, Leinster did the ‘from the ground up’ project?

Leinster did redevelop the Donnybrook stand. They were going to do the whole ground but stopped. I think they got a €7.5m debt from it, which they paid themselves despite never using it. Mick Dawson the ex CEO has said that he fired back and forth between it being a waste of money and being worth it due to the fact that it gets so much use by clubs, schools and women’s rugby.

They basically used the money from winning 3 out of 4 Heineken Cups to pay for it.

All in all, that’s the trade off. Leinster don’t own their own ground and pay a rent. They don’t control concessions although I think they may have negotiated a cut in the new stand deal at the RDS. Both Ulster and Munster have the long term benefit of having their own stadium. Both got a lot of external support on that, something never mentioned in the “unfair” whinges.

2 Likes

I didn’t. But your memory was clinical when it came to remembering the minster imports and you forgot some very high profile Leinster players.

You included Sam tuitopo and laulala FFS on the minster list they don’t have 10 caps between em and “forgot” Whittaker (a highly capped Ozzie 9) and van de linde (a highly capped springbok prop)

Was the debt written off?

Elsom.

He wouldn’t be in the sam tuitopo league in fairness :eyes:

Cj o stander

Tim is excluding project players

Surely he’s not being selective?

1 Like

I’d give him the benefit of the doubt.

1 Like

And of course Jean Kleyn was the only project player ever not to get picked for Ireland who was good enough and ended up winning a World Cup.