The Rugby Thread (Part 2)

The Irfu need to decide what they want to do. Create a globe trotting Leinster side or win a World Cup.

I’d be looking to bring in maybe an under 23 rule where you’re abroad and can play international rugby or maybe under 25.

Two seasons after your first cap to come back.

I still think there’s a traffic jam of players.

Two cracking AIL semis see Terenure Con final next Sunday.

Both teams pushed right to the edge of defeat when lansdowne looking the better heading into final straight.

Should be a belter next sunday. Plenty of needle between the two of late.

4 Likes

Watched the Con match on the telly. Some quality of game. Tarf never go away. Only saw the other result very tight.

Some crowd in Lakelands. My brother tipped down

Watched it from a pub in koh samui! Be back in time for final next weekend, should be cracker.

Terenure looked fucked for last half hour. Couldn’t win set peice, line being broken, lansdowne all the momentum.

Went to the early hours in the club, made a right occasion of the day and got the weather for it

2 Likes

You’d know lads only care about Munster after that Connacht match. 16 points conceded to essential part timers. A disgrace (was at a work night out watching the cunts too).

Devine will be the next big thing though.

He’s a good one. Nephew of Barry Brennan former Galway football captain.

2 Likes

Thats the right job, were the rock goys there for the koh samui cup?

Con were very impressive in the first half played at a savage pace. Next week will be a cracker

:rofl: thankfully coast is clear so far.

Watched matches in a Limerick man’s/friend’s brother’s bar in Fisherman’s Village. Hed be a Clancy of Clancy’s Electrical.

In there tonight again for Munster championship. Cant wait.

1 Like

Bernard Jackman in the Sunday independent (eh, they were giving them out free) says that: “if the irfu agreed strategy wasn’t to have two strong teams (Ireland and Leinster) and three development teams, then we have gone badly wrong because that ks where we are at now. The irfu have spent an incredible amount of time and money to create this. If that’s what they wanted then we are on track. If this wasn’t the plan then we had better turn around quickly.”

1 Like

He’s echoing exactly my sentiment.

Leinster have Irelands 2nd and 3rd fly halve, 4 of 5 best centres and our two 2 full backs possibly 3.

Signing jordie barrett makes little sense for the Irish team. Especially when you consider the other 3 provinces will know be less competitive next season after cost cutting.

It’s an unbreakable cycle they’ve created.

Yeah he completely backed you up and blew Tim out of the water. The interesting thing is he says either it’s intentional or they’ve fucked up. The hint it might be intentional and Munster and Ulster are relegated to development provinces alongside Connacht is stark.

There rules are simply silly.

Munster with a good front row would be getting home last 16 games and 1/4 finals too.

So pulling signings is only hurting themselves. I’d much rather Jack Crowley playing in these games than telling Munster to go develop your own.

Same with making Munster playing Toulouse in Aviva in 2021. Whatever financial benefits for them would pale in comparison to Munster playing the game in cork. 50k Munster fans reconnecting with the team and they’ve have won too.

You’d have had a full house the following week in Dublin for a Munster v Leinster clash. It would have paid for itself.

Jackman getting awful stick for this column on twitter from Munster fans pointing to the URC win last year - Leinster sending out the second string in that semifinal was a masterstroke in their work to turn the other 3 provinces into development sides.

I don’t use twitter but I think they’re misguided. He did defend Leinster on the number of central contracts but the piece was much more of a dig at the irfu and nucifora than anything Munster should take offence with.

What was the reasoning on that I forget the detail of it? Irfu would make more out of using the Aviva that PUC?

Nuicifora was a disaster.

I know now an ex Munster player who at a team pre season under van graan said that training was too slow and it was catching them out in big games. They needed to train shorter but harder and quicker.

Van graan replied this was a break of the trust brother hood. Every time said player tried to talk to van gran for the next 3 months van gran said that he’d broken the brother hood pact or some rope like that.

Nuicifora wanted to give the odd ball another contract. He set Munster back about three years. Probably Cost Ireland a place in the rugby World Cup final too.

The gist is that as Munster won a trophy last season and Leinster haven’t won anything since 2021, then it is actually Leinster who are in a mess rather than the other 3 provinces. All perfectly logical really.

They would make more buck in the very short team was the logic.

Also there’s no real point in signing journey men foreign players anymore. They might as sign superstars who’ll lift the standards and get fans engaged. There isn’t that many games anymore and a lot of them are against poor opposition.

Munster kept signing the likes of Matt Gallagher and the likes. You might as well just play another 20 player than sign lads like that.

1 Like

They’re still at it. They’re scouring the premiership for players with Irish grannies. I posted an article on players they’re targeting. Depressing. It’s all they can afford. Bringing in billy burns FFS. I wonder if the days of munster attracting decent or big signings are gone. In the short term at least it looks like it.

On van graan, the blame is with Munster leadership. If they’d wanted him replaced he would have been. They should have been out searching for alternatives and presenting them to the irfu. That’s entirely their own fault.

Against being in journeyman players you can’t just throw 20s players into senior pro rugby wholesale. I remember there was an interview with rowntree (I think) on ahern not too long ago, fans were clamouring fot him to start games and management wanted him playing too but they had to carefully manage his minutes.

I’d much rather a good squad than a big squad.

I think players have been crying out for minutes but the squad has dictated they can’t get them.

I think Munster had two games in February and march.