The Saturday/Sunday Game Thread

I have.

cc

@Raylan

Category V Infractions
5.36 To interfere with a Referee, Umpire, Linesman or
Sideline Official – minor physical interference e.g.
laying a hand on, pushing, pulling or jostling.

Read the actual rule, laying a hand on a match official is the same offence as pushing them.

Eh, that goes back to my initial point yet again. There’s been suspensions this season after both televised and non-televised games for interference with officials. It looks like it’s being clamped down on more so than in previous years. McQuillan seemingly highlighted what McGeeney did post game and who’s to say Branigan didn’t do similar before The Sunday Game aired the following night?

We don’t really know if Spillane’s input was decisive in leading the officials to mention Connolly’s push. I’m not disputing that some incidents are highlighted to a greater degree than other similar incidents on the show but it would been stranger if it wasn’t mentioned at all. Gavin complaining that it shouldn’t have been discussed before due process had taken place was daft - no controversial incident in any match would ever be discussed at half time, full time or on a highlights show in that case.

1 Like

Amusing that it was a non All Ireland winning Dublin pundit who lead the charge most recently.

And that goes back with what my original point.

We know what Connolly did, we know it was trivial, we know Spillane completely overreacted to what it was.

We don’t know what Comerford or McGeeney actually said or did, we don’t know how trivial or non-trivial their indiscretions were. We do know that there was no media clamour for their bans and decisions were made on the basis on being free from outside pressure?

Do you think Tiernan McCann would have been suspended two years ago without the widespread hysteria created by the media and pundits? I doubt it. The Sunday Game panelists are very much an effective lobby group when it comes to directing disciplinary action.

As for Branagan, we know that at the time of the incident he didn’t feel it warranted further action, at that point of the game where it would have had some sort of negligble impact for the player and his team, why was it not seen as a red card then but was post match. I think the mass hysteria created by the likes of Spillane afterwards had a big influence of Branagan’s and Hurson’s decision to report the incident it looked like they have dealt with previously.

Connolly = known trivial incident with massive hysteric overreaction calling for a ban
Comerford/McGeeney = unverified incident with no media input

Who was that?

You know many non all Ireland winning Dublin pundits on the Sunday game?

Who did he try to get banned?

You’re summarising my initial point from a slightly different angle again. McQuillan highlighted something after the game without any TV influence. Branigan highlighted something after the game which may or may not have been influenced by TV - we don’t know.

Some nonce from Tyrone.

What year?

Yes.

And my point is that we know how trivial the Connolly incident was, we know it was a decision made free of media interference or pressure.

We don’t know how trivial the McGeeney incident was but we do know it was a decision made free of any pressure or lobbying from outside factors to take disciplinary actions and that is why they are different.

The most recent nonce

I think the reaction here is far more moderate than other instances on the show. Both Spillane and COR noted, several times, that there wasn’t much in the shove

https://youtu.be/90nsP6NuBA8

I asked what year?

Are you thick?

Seriously lads, we should all be glorying in the fact that Gavin wanker isn’t boring us to death anymore.

3 Likes

What year did that nonce dive when someone touched his hair? Whelan went on a rant at the time looking for him to be rode rotten.

Not the last one as Kevin McStay tried to get Philly McMahon banned in the subsequent semi final.

You’re incorrect.

Philly isn’t a nonce from tyrone

Who are you saying is a nonce from Tyrone?