The Saturday/Sunday Game Thread

Before TSG. This is all moot.

@Little_Lord_Fauntleroy?

1 Like

Guys I hate to see this escalating into an urban/rural spat, the Connollyites referring to rural dwellers in a derogatory manner is most unseemly.
When all is said and done whatā€™s a muldoon only a dublin manā€™s father.

6 Likes

Correct. Gavin and Dermo both of pedigree Clare stock.

Diarmuid also has KK in him

That didnā€™t happen

1 Like

I think the mad part is from Liscannor if his cousins are anything to go by

That gene concoction was an accident waiting to happen so

This is the second time the St. Vincentā€™s man has escaped censure despite being shown the line in an All-Ireland semi-final.

1 Like

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/dublin-star-philly-mcmahon-cleared-6360699

Philly McMahon is set to line out for Dublin in Saturdayā€™s All-Ireland semi-final replay despite headbutt claims made by Mayoā€™s Aidan Oā€™Shea.

The Dublin County Board appears certain to request a hearing in a bid to clear Diarmuid Connolly to play after he was issued with a straight red card late on after an altercation with Mayoā€™s Lee Keegan.

Dublin GAA are Denis Oā€™Brienesque in terms of litigation. That was just one match.

Dublin are also expected to try and have black cards issued to midfield duo Michael Darragh Macauley and Denis Bastick overturned.

1 Like

When they refused to retrospectively ban for an eye gouge you knew the Dubs could do as they wanted.

1 Like

Theyā€™re the best team by a mile so there shouldnā€™t be a need for that carry on. Itā€™s only a couple of them in fairness. Surprised with Gavin though , didnā€™t think he was the type that would condone it. Caffrey actively encouraged it but no surprise considering his occupation.

Itā€™s practically impossible to take the tramp out of a person, itā€™s not helped when the gurrier of a manager encourages the carryon

The man telling it like it is

Galway manager backs Gavin stance
28 June 2017

Galway manager Kevin Walsh reckons Jim Gavin was ā€˜100 per centā€™ right to refuse to conduct broadcast interviews after Dublinā€™s Leinster semi-final win, and hit out at personal attacks on players via ā€˜trial by television juryā€™.

Annoyed by the coverage that Diarmuid Connolly received in the aftermath of Dublinā€™s win over Carlow and Connollyā€™s subsequent 12-week ban for pushing an assistant referee, Gavin reignited the row by declining the customary television and radio interviews afterwards.

And although Walsh says he might not have taken a similar stance, he thinks Gavin was right to back his player who come under attack by ā€˜amateur journalistsā€™.

ā€œHe is one 100 per cent right to protect his players. There are places for those things to be dealt with, whether it is a yellow card or a black card or whatever. Not trial by television jury. I believe he is right in what he is saying to protect his player,ā€ said Walsh.

ā€œIt is up to himself to decide what type of stance he takes. Iā€™m not saying thatā€™s the stance that I would be taking but, at the same time, he is right to protect his players.

ā€œThat allows the amateur journalists, if you like, to have another bounce and whack out stuff for another few weeks. To be honest, the less I say the better. Thatā€™s why I donā€™t say too much, because Iā€™m not going to be out there making headlines for people who want headlines.ā€

Walsh has history in this discussion and was annoyed by the criticism he received on The Sunday Game from former Sligo player Eamonn Oā€™Hara shortly before Walshā€™s stint as manager of Sligo came to an end in 2013.

Following on from Sligoā€™s championship loss in London, Oā€™Hara called for Walsh to step down from the role and criticised his training methods. Afterwards Walsh labeled Oā€™Haraā€™s critique as ā€˜unbalancedā€™ and ā€˜unfairā€™.

And while he declined to comment on that specific row with Oā€™Hara, he urged analysts to remember the amateur player behind the jerseys before they launch ā€˜personal attacksā€™.

ā€œIā€™m not even going to comment on my own situation because I am not going to play tennis with someone who wants to play a game of tennis. Thatā€™s why I wouldnā€™t comment at the time and Iā€™m not going to say any more about it.

ā€œBut, yeah, thereā€™s a person inside that jersey who is working really hard and while constructive analysis is absolutely perfect if somebody knew exactly the deep coaching and the deep things that would affect a team and were qualified to do that on television they would do it.

ā€œAnd that would be good analysis. Itā€™s not about personal attacks. Thereā€™s rakes of room for good analysis that isnā€™t being carried out. Maybe in the future that will happen.

ā€œIā€™m not talking about myself; Iā€™m talking about players. Iā€™m here, Iā€™ll have to take the flak that comes with it.

ā€œI suppose even coming into Galway in the first place changing the style and different things to compete was probably tough. It was tough for nine months and Iā€™m sure I got plenty of slating for it because it takes time to develop.

ā€œBut if you go after something you believe in and you know will work; you do that and you stand by it. If it fails, it fails. What Iā€™m saying here is the players inside the jersey that put their lives on hold needs to be given the respect because thereā€™s a person inside the jersey.ā€

:confused:

Alan Brogan going back to his muldoon roots. Even @myboyblue favorite non All Ireland winning midfielder WheelieBin taking a muldoon stance on it (although he may have his Sunday Game cash turing his head)

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/i-dont-think-it-reflects-well-on-dublin-football-alan-brogan-and-ciaran-whelan-on-the-diarmuid-connolly-media-storm-35868761.html

I think itā€™s generally accepted that the Brogans despise Gavin.

Eamonn Oā€™Hara must have been dropped by The Sunday Game.

Will RTE drop Spillane ?

Will they fook . He has the country talking about the show . The next time himself and brolly are on together will boost ratings .